• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Tips for shooting a "Marathon like" event!

I need some urgent help regarding a very intense run & gun shoot I’ve been hired to do in the very near future. Together with two other more experienced cameramen, I’ll be joining as number three to cover a Color Run event. If you’ve never heard of this here are two links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2a4wTLWUZc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWjdrHCeG8U
Although I’m more of a director than a DP I am very well versed in photography (The technical ins and outs) and have shot some works on a camcorder before I need some expert DSLR videography tips so I can avoid unnecessary pitfalls during the shoot :)
I’ve just acquired the Sony A7s and from the research I’ve done before I already know about many of its weaknesses (rolling shutter being the big one). I plan to shoot everything in APS-C other than some still none moving shots maybe (For those moments when I’ll have the time to switch back to full frame in the menu system).

My biggest issue concerns the lenses that I should use and how to Rig the a7s.

For reference here’s the gear I already own:

A7s, 4 batteries, two 64 GB SDXC cards, Va ariable ND & Polariser Filter (77mm), a Commlite Canon to Nex Adaptor and a Fotga DP500 v2 Follow Focus + Rods and a mounting plate. I also have Camera Cage that fits the 5dMark2 and also sort of fits the A7s but I’ll have to toy around with changing the batteries as the lid only opens three quarters of the way. This might be too much of a hassle.
No atomos Shogun 4k as I don’t have the $$ to rent one :(

Here’s what I plan to rent/get to shoot to event and my concerns and questions it concerning:

LENSES:
I’m thinking of getting a standard wide zoom and a telephoto zoom, namely a Tamron 17-50 VC and a Canon 70-200 f.2.8 or f.4, probably the lighter latter. The reason why I’m thinking of renting the Tamron 17-50 VC as opposed of the Canon 17-55 2.8 (which is optically more interesting) is that the Tamron has a lock feature and I would want to have the lens stay in place at 17mm while I will be running behind the crowd (this saves me from carrying another wide prime lens as for example the Canon 24mm 2.8 IS). There’s also the option of getting the famous Canon 24-105 instead but I fear I might miss the long end and wide end reaches.

RIGGING:
I’m thinking of putting the a7s in a cage and renting a shoulder mount rig. From all the footage of the color run I believe that this is the tool that is used to give the footage it’s handheld (but not too much) quality.
I can rent one of these for cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Gini-Rigs-Advanced-Extreme-17/dp/B00D0LQUQY
Then there’s also the monopod option for the telephoto shots especially. Will it be easy to switch from the Rig to a monopod? Or, should I just opt for one or the other? Will a rig (similar to the one I mention above) stabilise the long end of a 70-200 IS lens enough?

Finally, I’ve still to get acquainted with the picture profiles for the A7s and will read up a lot on this tonight.
From initial research my gut feeling is telling me to avoid the S-Log feature as it might be too much hassle with the little amount of time I have to prepare for this shoot. It’s not that I’m an “a-technical person" or something though ;)

If anyone of you has shot something similar in the past and or has some good tips on what lenses, other equipment and Picture profile setups, I would appreciate your help a great great deal! :D

Thank you!

Back