Time off from work, so I can work

This gig has left me an absolute basket-case from constant travel and 7-day weeks. My immune system is shot and every morning my right eye is swollen shut. What remains of my hairline has receded faster than a Chilean glacier.

I haven't worked in TV for many years, and it has really pushed me in terms of the speed and efficiency needed to make the short deadlines. I'm very proud of what we accomplished. It likely won't be repeated for a while.

I'm taking a week off to recharge before I start on a feature that delivers in 18 months. What am I going to do with my time off? Hawaii? Europe? Baja? Nope. I'm heading back to California to shoot the final VFX elements for my short film so I can lock picture and hand it over to sound.

Hi IndieTalk. I'm back!

Thomas

Hey, and welcome back.

Care to share some more intricate details about the vfx work on your short and TV work?

J.W

Hey Rok, I don't catch all your posts.

The last gig I remember you mentioning was I think a short or feature that you were shooting at some great location you had been hoping to get for a long time. That was quite a few months back.

Looks like you have multiple things going on.

Hell, you must be busy! After finishing our recent shoots I was soooooooo tired.

This gig has left me an absolute basket-case

Welcome to the Real Filmmaker's Club :lol:

Lookin' forward to seeing your short with the finished FX. Last Exit or Final Exit, wasn't it?

What's the feature you're working on? :cool:

The readers digest version was that I ran a budget for my feature. Last March (a year has already passed?!) I had put together 3/4 of the money needed to shoot that summer. But I sat down with a couple very experienced industry friends and concluded that the feature wasn't quite completable with the funds I had. So, I immediately shifted gears and we rewrote the first act as an open ended 15 minute short. Yes, I finally did secure my locations and shot for 5 days in July, and a reshoot several months later. The cut is locked, and grading is 99% done. Considering that I work in VFX, you'd expect that the CG would be the easiest part. Well, it wasn't. Since all my friends work at VFX shops, they have a minimum standard they want to meet, and that takes time ... Much more than I expected ;) So, I have 10 VFX shots needing attention, but I'm patient.

Currently, I'm supervising visual effects for a cable series which has 7hr0ne$ in the title (you get the idea). Excellent program. High standards.

Sorry Steve, I can't talk about the feature. But, nice try!

But I'm thrilled to be back here on indieTalk.

** ps my "Miniature Photography for Beginners" article is coming. I promise!

Yes, I finally did secure my locations and shot for 5 days in July, and a reshoot several months later. The cut is locked, and grading is 99% done.

Nice! :)

If you can, get the post-production done in time for the tier one festivals, Sundance etc. I presume you're already aiming for that anyway.
Currently, I'm supervising visual effects for a cable series which has 7hr0ne$ in the title (you get the idea). Excellent program. High standards.
Cool. But indeed take some time out for yourself too.

But I'm thrilled to be back here on indieTalk.

** ps my "Miniature Photography for Beginners" article is coming. I promise!
And it's great having you back.

As for Hawaii. Great call by Aspiring Mogul.

Last edited:
Back