• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Time Code Error During Importing of DV footage in FCP

Hey everyone!

I just recently shot two dv tapes on my panasonic dvx-100b with about 82 minutes of footage.

I might of forgotten to reset the time codes before we shot the footage, although I'm pretty positive they were reset.

Anyways....
While trying to upload the footage from The Dvx100b to FCP
it's telling me it can't locate the time code. I selected retry, and FCP froze while the tape continued rewinding the 30 seconds I marked the clip in and out back and forth after I selected capture clip. I had to force close it.

this is the first time I ever tried importing footage. I'm a complete newbie with FCP, but should I've read the chapter on importing in the apple training series. Is there anything in the settings I could possibly fiddle with or anyway to get that footage onto FCP?

thanks,

- d

If the footage is on the tape, you can still get it. It's just difficult to batch-capture it, as the importing software needs a bit of pre-roll space to bring the heads up to speed.

If you use FCP to play the camera, you'll be able to manually click on "record" in the software as soon as you see the footage start to play. Don't forget to stop, afterwards)

Well, it's as simple as that in Premiere anyways. FCP's gotta be close.

This is why it's handy to "stripe" tapes before using them, btw.

The night before the shoot, place tape in camera. Hit record and go do whatever. Come back in an hour, and rewind tape for use.

The tape now has a timecode laid down over the entire length of the tape.

Back