Through the side door

Well I have always been interested in filmaking, took some screenwriting courses after high school, but never got around to writing one. Flash forward 20 years or so and my band is releasing an album. I wanted to do a decent music video, but didn't really want to spend 20 grand for it. Fortunately you can accomplish quite a bit on a restricted budget these days. I learned what I needed to know for lighting, cinematography, and editing. In all I think I spent about $900.00 on equipment, and was able to shoot something that at least approaches professional work.

As it turns out I found editing to be the most interesting part of the process, and one that really expanded my creative thought process. I had a certain amount of footage, but then I had to weave it into something else, tell a story with motion and tempo synching to the audio. It was whole other creative rail I had never experienced, and fortunately I found out I was pretty good at it.

So I am here to share and and collaborate. I have had to become a jack of all trades to accomplish what I wanted, but there is always more to learn, and I have found you learn by doing.

Kind Regards

Steven W.

:welcome:

Can you show us the video? I too am in music and film and into music vids. ;)

Sure thanks for asking. Here it is

I shot in 4k in filmic pro, sadly I had to downsample to 1080 because my laptop just couldn't smoothly do the 4k editing. Used an iphone XR, with an Ulanzi anamorphic lens. FYI sob story is I bought the gimbal which was like a third of my expenses, but I had to perform and the person shooting with it barely new how to use it, so I wound up not getting my epic parralax shots : (

Last edited:
Back