Thoughts on the latest version of Sony Vegas Pro

Hey gang.

I've been away for a while with illness and financial problems resulting from giant hospital bills.

But, I'm working on a comeback.

I am considering getting the latest Sony Vegas Pro for my new computer. I have Movie Studio and Premire. But, I know from the past, each program has its strong points in different areas.

If anyone is currently using the latest version, could you please share what you like and dislike with it to help me decide if I should invest in it?

Thank you all.

PS I hope to invest in a USB 3 hub for the computer and new glass (lens) for my Canon EOS 60D in the next month or so.

Hope all is good with everyone here.

I'm not sure how much you'll value my opinion, I'm more of a lurker and rarely post. (Never even properly introduced myself, I should probably do something about that...)

But I have used both Vegas Pro 12 and Premiere Pro CC on a failed web series, so I have some experience with both.

I may have a bias toward Vegas, since it's interface is similar to Acid Pro, which I used for years. But some things are just easier in Vegas.

For video work, I would say that Premiere is stronger, but there are a couple of things I found easier in Vegas.
Editing multiple camera angles initially seemed easier in Vegas, but that may have been down to my familiarity with the interface. It became nearly as easy in Premiere, once I worked with it more.
Applying a vignette is much easier in Vegas, you can easily manipulate a mask to achieve it. I may have missed something, but the only way to do it within Premiere is overlay an image with an alpha and play with transparency. To apply one as easily as Vegas, you really have to use SpeedGrade.
I also do some animations, and importing an image sequence into Vegas is dead easy within the normal Import dialog. I'm sure there's a way to do it in Premiere as well, but the last time I tried I got frustrated and went to Vegas, then exported the video as something Premiere could use.

Where Vegas really shines is in the audio department.
Not surprising I quess, given it's pedigree of Acid Pro. I wouldn't say Acid was a great DAW, but all of it was carried over to Vegas. And it leaves the tools available within Premiere in the dust.

Using PluralEyes in Vegas makes the integration with Premiere look pathetic. I typically have several dialog tracks to sync to one video source, and that can easily be done within Vegas. It's not impossible in Premiere, but I don't want to jump through all the hoops necessary.

Izotope tools are also much better integrated within Vegas.

To get the same level of integration, I think you would have to use Audition.

Premiere definitely has the edge in color correction/grading and vfx. This is obviously true if your workflow includes SpeedGrade and After Effects, and gets even better with the integration available in CC. But even stand-alone, Premiere has much better tools in those areas.

All in all, Premiere (with its supporting programs) is definitely more powerful. I think one thing that would tip my hand would be music video work. If I did a lot of that, I think Vegas would be great to have in one's arsenal.

Thank you, JWerner. That is helpful. If you were to get Boris FX and Particle Illusion, you may enjoy the enhanced special effects you would be able to do with Vegas. Sound Forge is also something to add to Vegas.

I have Vegas 8 Pro with my Dual Core Sony Laptop. So, I have previous experience. I am hoping the new Vegas supports RED like Premiere Pro. Movie Studio does not. But, it has some great upgrades over the older version of Movie Studio 8, which I have on the laptop as well.

Back