Thoughts about variable lights?

Hi!

As a film student I have been considering buying some lights to learn how to light. I made my homework and LED panels seems to be what I need, considering budget and function. The NEEWER CN-304 conviced me, but I was reading and looking, and I found out that some people say that it's better buying non-variable temperature LED's because they are more intense than the variable ones. My question, is hard to modify those lights with filters to the exact temperature I want?

I think that having problems with different temperatures all around the frame is worse than losing intensity.

Thanks and, again, sorry for my english.

Except for the rare COB design, most variable-temperature LED panels sacrifice brightness. It’s neat to be able to tune to mixed lighting temps, but the only way to get full output from all LEDs on the panel is to run the full 50/50 mix of daylight and tungsten. Personally, I use all daylight LED panels and gel when I need to.

I’ve played with Neewer LED panels in the past and have found them to have a nasty magenta shift. Take a look at Aputure instead.

Except for the rare COB design, most variable-temperature LED panels sacrifice brightness. It’s neat to be able to tune to mixed lighting temps, but the only way to get full output from all LEDs on the panel is to run the full 50/50 mix of daylight and tungsten. Personally, I use all daylight LED panels and gel when I need to.

I’ve played with Neewer LED panels in the past and have found them to have a nasty magenta shift. Take a look at Aputure instead.

I see. I took a look at the Aputure H198 Amaran too, but I think that maybe is too little for a key light, some suggestion? (under the 100 us.)

The 198 is a small light. Not enough for a strong key, for sure. Not much in that range will be, honestly. Most of the less-than-$100 LEDs are either too small/weak to key or suffer from bad color rendering (green or magenta shifts), or both. I have an Aputure LED panel kit (672 and 528 panels) for interviews and smaller shoots and find that the 672S through a silk is enough for a decent, soft key. In that kit, I also have two of the 198 panels that I use for accent, fill, eye light, etc. All are daylight.

The 198 is a small light. Not enough for a strong key, for sure. Not much in that range will be, honestly. Most of the less-than-$100 LEDs are either too small/weak to key or suffer from bad color rendering (green or magenta shifts), or both. I have an Aputure LED panel kit (672 and 528 panels) for interviews and smaller shoots and find that the 672S through a silk is enough for a decent, soft key. In that kit, I also have two of the 198 panels that I use for accent, fill, eye light, etc. All are daylight.

Thanks!

Back