This SD card is cheesing me off, please advise.

I've been unloading my SD cards over the last few days and every time I do, rather than a pop up window which normally comes up in the bottom right corner of the screen showing a small preview of the clips taken and allowing for tagging I keep having to go to Computer: Open the F drive and everytime I do all my files are showing as recorded in MOI when I know recorded them in MOV. MOV is the only way my camera has ever recorded and this MOI file extension is absolutely useless.
  • Why are these files not uploading directly to my harddrive?
  • Why are they MOI files? I've never seen this before and they won't open.
  • I've tried everything from resetting the import options to looking at the individual files and it seems that there is no solution. :grumpy:

Can any of you offer some advice on solving this issue? Thank you.

Going apeshit in Texas. :bang:

JVC camcorder ? Waht OS are you using ?

Im wondering if handbrake might transcode for you ??

EDIT ... Ifound the below somewhere

On JVC camcorders the .MOI and .PGI files only contain indexing and management information about the video that is in the .MOD files. You do not convert .MOI or .PGI files - they do not contain any video and they are only used by the camcorder itself for its own internal housekeeping of clips on its own internal hard drive or memory stick. They can not and will not be used by any editing program including iMovie and Final Cut.
... SOO
You might have a cam or card issue and the card may not have any info..If you are near North Housto, I might be able to help..Im on Linux and it reads most anything...

Have you tried another computer or a different card reader??

I just spent the day transcoding some files from a shoot yesterday that would play in VLC but would not work in my editor..I finally transcoded using FFMPEG and the DNXD codec to get it to work. Half of the files worked fine and half I had to transcode to get it to work, however Im good now.

Mebbe it's the rain here in TX that is causing it ??

Last edited:
JVC camcorder ? Waht OS are you using ?

Im wondering if handbrake might transcode for you ??

EDIT ... Ifound the below somewhere

... SOO
You might have a cam or card issue and the card may not have any info..If you are near North Housto, I might be able to help..Im on Linux and it reads most anything...

Have you tried another computer or a different card reader??

I just spent the day transcoding some files from a shoot yesterday that would play in VLC but would not work in my editor..I finally transcoded using FFMPEG and the DNXD codec to get it to work. Half of the files worked fine and half I had to transcode to get it to work, however Im good now.

Mebbe it's the rain here in TX that is causing it ??

Its not a JVC. Its an FS100. My OS is Windows 7 Premium 64 bit. You're right. I have found that the MOI files are just broken down into two separate folders one called "Management" and the other called "SD Video." Even when I click on the video file though I'm still getting the MOI extension and it fills up the entire screen with separate thumbnails as if they were the MOV files. Even the other day, when I got one card emptied out each MOV file which eventually showed up after a few minutes had an MOI with the same identification number directly next to it. Man, I hope my camera's not broken. That would suck. I'm going to try one more thing today before I resign and just walk away from the whole thing and buy some new cards, which is really disappointing after all the work I put into getting into these shots of the wild parakeets behind my house. Thanks for your help. Oh, by the way. I'm north of Houston. Way north. I'm in Cowtown. Thanks for the offer though. :cool:

Back