This is disgusting!

directorik

IndieTalk's Resident Guru
indiePRO
I couldn't resist the sensational headline!

This link popped up on a newsgroup I frequent and started quite a discussion:

http://www.myfirstandlastfilm.com/mfalf_pages/home.html

A shocking story - "found footage" - a list of newspaper clippings - people posting on newsgroups and message boards pretending to be shocked and disgusted.

I think it looks terribly fake. And the lead actress not only lists the wrong movie on her current resume (she was hired to star in a movie called "Garbage Dump" and the title was changed after her death) but has credits AFTER she was "killed" in 2001.

I got pulled in by the Blair Witch promotion. And LOVED it! Loved the hype. Loved being fooled. Loved the movie.

Can this type of hype ever work again?

Sounds like he's ripping off the blair witch to me. Not in content, but concept.

edit, and i just read the rest of your post, and i agree, and no the hype will never work again, UNTIL the generation that saw teh Blair Witch has died off, or is a lot older and the younger generations that frequent shitty hollywood movies become old enough

Last edited:
I think a major component of "selling" the promotion behind the blair witch project was the acting. They didn't seem like they were...acting. Which is really important. In my opinion it's something that this film is lacking. It looks like their trying not to look like their acting...to no avail.

I think it could be done again though. There's a cerain creepiness about this kind of voyeristic approach to death or chaos. Without the "acting" though...it just won't work.

It would, for me, have to be really disturbing/creepy to catch my attention. A lot of people say im hardened or whatever, but something as lame as "he killed his GF and himself" doesnt interest me. Get something darker, more greusome, a lot more creepy...and then we'll talk.

But mainstream america isnt like that, so it wont sell as well, so it wont get produced/distributed as well. Oh well.

I think this type of marketing would definitely work again, and soon.

To quote David Hannum, "There's a sucker born every minute."
_______

The original "Blair Witch" website had give-aways planted all over the place. The most simplest of all was the 555-prefix on who to call, if you happened to spot the missing persons.

The campaign still worked remarkably well. Maybe it was because i was living in Ohio at the time... who knows. In light of all the plain-to-see disclaimers, people just wanted to believe.
______

Back