this is amazing...

http://thru-you.com/#/videos/

how does he do it?? is there like special software for doing video mashups? Co he's clearly taken the audio from these files and cleaned it all up, added effects, temp matched... in my mind it would have been a HELL of a job editing the videos to reflect this. Or is there some bit of technology out there that makes this kind of thing easy and I'm just ignorant!??

Anyways, I think this guy is genius. First two tracks I would totally buy.

Yah, that's pretty darn good.

A few weeks ago (on The Colbert Report), the owner of one of those co-op-style websites was interviewed. There's lots of people doing it. I'll see if I can find the episode on the Comedy Central website for you, or at least the name of that site.

We looked at this in our editing class. The guy took everyone of the clips off of youtube. its pretty crazy :). We had to do something similar (although no where near the quality).

Our instructor told us he just did it in Final Cut.

Last edited:
A friend of mine does stuff like that, and it's never anything less than impressive to me.

I almost think it would be a good way to get my feet wet on learning how to edit and the like. Is that at all reasonable?

Is that at all reasonable?
Only if you're musically inclined, otherwise you'll get frustrated and it will turn out poorly. Even so, this kind of thing wouldn't really teach you how to be a good editor so much as it would be an exercise in learning the functionality of your editing software.

Seems like a job of a great music producer ... great video editing as well, although I believe that the hard work of it is to find different hooks, grooves, riffs etc at the same tempo, same key and so on... nice video!! I loved it!

Last edited:
PS.
I watched the first video and I thought it might have some influence of jamaican Dub. The second video confirmed what I thought. Lee Perry and King Tubby created this interesting way to use audio engeneering and editing elements to create music. Usually engineering is used to produce (record, mix etc), but not to create, and I think that the Dub culture is a great school for everybody interested in music production, cuz it teaches you how to use and fit every sort of element (even odd, strange or poor elements) and make it sounds good.

The "secret" of the art we see in these videos was well developed back in the 60´s or 70´s by Lee 'Scratch' Perry. Although I´m talking about music production, we must consider the advantages of modern editing technology (either it´s for video or audio) in comparison to old analog technology the jamaicans used back in those days.

Peace

Last edited:
Another similar one :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRyj5cHIQA

pure editing

My take on this video is that it is a product of pure editing. It is cutting on beat and allows it's recurrent looped portions of film to crosscut each other just as Paul Sharits did in the 1970's experimental film movement, where he made constructions that exceeded the context of the source material and created entirely different edited pieces. Software? I think our own curiosity as viewers and the willing inventive drive of the editor are the only software any of us need on this count. best, C.

Back