• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch This is All You Left Me - final cut

Some of you might remember this from a few months ago, but I've recut my first short and have now put it up online. I'd entered it into a few film festivals (didn't make it into any) last year, and decided to re-edit it and make it public at this point.

I did the entire thing by myself. Writing, acting, camera, editing, etc. The only thing I didn't do was the music. It was just an experiment to see if I could do it all myself. The answer was yes. But I don't think I'd want to again.

The main goal of it was to evoke an emotional response. There's a very loose narrative arc to it, but the real point was just to make people feel something in a very simple way. Almost everyone who's seen it says it does that. I had one guy who said he had to stop watching 1/3 of the way through because it hit too close to home and almost had him in tears. As far as I'm concerned, job done.

While I'm done with this particular short, if anyone wants to give advice on what to watch out for on future projects based on this, please do so! :yes: (Also, is there no way to embed a Vimeo video in a post???)

http://vimeo.com/58917108

How did you record the voice-over ? On camera mic ?

The voice over was really weird and very amateurish sounding. It's the most important part you need to work on, and it will help you even more into emotionally touching the viewer...

Everything else is fine enough.

How did you record the voice-over ? On camera mic ?

It was done with a Blue Snowball mic. Audio is by far my weakest point. Which is why going forward, I'm doing two things:

1. Music videos.
2. Hiring/partnering with someone who knows what they're actually doing when it comes to audio. :cool:

Cool. So what's next? :cool:

Fwiw, I liked the vid cut of the second, but the audio flow of the first. The re-cut v/o just stops abruptly two-thirds in.

Very nice work, Cameron.

If I were to try and offer some constructive input beyond that, I might also comment on the narration. But instead of remarking on its audio quality, I would say that the actor (you, right? :) ) does sound a little like she's "just" reading from the script. Just a bit. No big thing. And I'm guessing that acting is not your primary concern, right? However, there was a moment or two when I would want to hasten to add that your hand, or body language, acting did make up for some of that.

Great! Hope to see your next films soon. =)

Back