• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

There is a song I would love to use...

How do I go about it? All new to this... Who do I contact? If I get someone to do a cover of the song then is this legal?
Thanks to anyone who feels like helping :)

You would still need to obtain the rights. It's been a while so I may not have it right, but you need to obtain permission from the copyright holder (publishing rights/license), owner of the recording (mechanical license) and a synchronization license for use in a film. As always, you should consult an attorney who is experienced with entertainment law.

How do I go about it? All new to this... Who do I contact? If I get someone to do a cover of the song then is this legal?
Alcove is right.

You contact the music publisher. You will need the Synchronization
License: This is the right to synchronize a song or a piece of music
with your visual image, and the Master Use License: This is the
right to reproduce a specific recording of a song in your film. You
won't need the Master Use if you are using a cover. But you will
still need permission to record a cover version and the sync license.

I don't mind answering the question.

One of the things I like about this forum is the personal
touch new people get. While a commonly asked question
can be handled in a sticky, it can also encourage a lot of
"Look at the sticky" answers. Those of us who are here
a lot tend to see questions as the same thing over and
over. But to the people asking, it's the first time. It can
be nice to get a personal answer from one or more people.

Just one person's perspective.

If the film is going to be reproduced in either a physical package or in download form you will need a mechanical license as well - DVD, online distribution etc.

This is something often overlooked by indie filmmakers. The rules surrounding digital media & distribution through downloads are fast-changing. If you're uncertain, get professional advice before setting your heart on a specific track.

Paul Curtis

Last edited by a moderator:
Back