There are iconic short films.

Seasons greetings, my friends, and I hope all is well.

I was told that, while there may be iconic feature-length films, there are no iconic short films. Then, one day, I suddenly realized that there are many iconic short films - the Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone.

Any thoughts?

Whoever told you there were no iconic short films has a very poor understanding of the genre.

The Music Box
Gertie The Dinosaur
Steamboat Willie is just the start of dozens of iconic short film made by Disney
Un Chein Andalou
Duck Amuck and What's Opera Doc
The Red Balloon
Creature Comforts
Vincent and Frankenweenie

And then the iconic first Pixar short Luxo Jr.
We could call a dozen of Chaplin short films iconic like Easy Street and The Immigrant.
What about Keaton? Cops and Sherlock Jr.

I agree with "Steamboat Willie" as well as "What's Opera Doc". But these are animated features as opposed to live action, and the same goes with "How the Grinch stole Christmas".

Which live-action shorts, aside from those in "The Outer Limits" and "The Twilight Zone", are iconic? I'm not sure about the others ... OK maybe "The Tramp" by Charlie Chaplin, so that's one.

People dont pay to watch short films and netflix doesnt carry them.
Animated short films for kids are bit of a special case bc the parents want the movies to be short lol.

Anyway here are some other examples you would find unsatisfying of iconic short pieces.

Merry X'mas, everyone,

There are definitely iconic animated shorts, and there are also iconic commercials.

Some of those iconic commercials are
1) Coca cola - "I'd like to teach the world to sing ..."
2) The Paul Anka Kodak commercial, with the song that became a hit single - "Times of your life";
3) The James Garner/Mariette Hartly Polaroid commericals;
4) The 1984 Apple commercial by Ridley Scott.

These can be considered short films, in a different genre. But, aside from "The Tramp" by Charlie Chaplin, I can't think of any short film that, to me, is iconic - but I'm just thinking of myself, and others may have different thoughts.

Hmmm ...... there may be an opportunity here, and I have to think about it.

Thanks, Indietalk, but I don't know any of these, except perhaps "Voyage to the Moon", so I can't say that they're iconic. Of course, iconic may be in the eye of the beholder, so, again, I can't say they aren't iconic.

I saw a ton of those in film school. Un Chien Andalou rocked my world and changed how I approached film. Perhaps these are most known to filmmakers, definitely not mainstream.

What you might be looking for are anthology films. You pay for your butt to be in the seat as long as a feature, but see many "films."

But they are mainstream. Pulp Fiction is considered one.

I gotta say bro if PF is not iconic enough for you, this thread is a lost cause 🤣🤣🤣

Probably the largest cultural icon of my generation.

Back