• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch THE WHISTLE 2 - horror short film

Hey everybody,

together with my little team I created the second part of my horror short film "The Whistle".

As we started, we didn't know much about filmmaking and that's the reason for our decision to continue "The Whistle" without dialogues (we are not good in it yet). So we focused on a good camera movement, the post production and the sound design. It was also the first time we had to act Our audience is still very small. With a growing community we will significantly expand the scope of the films. Bit by bit, we want to improve our techniques

We put in a lot of work for the sound design and the post production. I hope you enjoy watching our second short film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx9-MiJYUgw

Good job. It looks really good. Looking forward to see the expanded version with dialogue to figure out the story too. May I ask the budget of the second part? It seems you have used a lot of special effects for this one.

Good job. It looks really good. Looking forward to see the expanded version with dialogue to figure out the story too. May I ask the budget of the second part? It seems you have used a lot of special effects for this one.

Thank you very much! I am very happy you like it. The budget was 100€ (material costs for the construction of the mask and the hands). All special effects are done with After Effects cs6

Soundtrack is definitely better in this one.

I feel like it would be helpful if there was more of a transition from normal life to horror. It's the intrusion of monsters/violence/fear on things we consider safe and innocent (home, children, toys) that makes horror effective, in my opinion. It's hard to pull off that transition convincingly in a short film, especially without dialogue... but without it I don't feel like there's as much of an opportunity to build tension.

Some really beautiful shots, especially the evening ones (golden hour ftw).

Soundtrack is definitely better in this one.

I feel like it would be helpful if there was more of a transition from normal life to horror. It's the intrusion of monsters/violence/fear on things we consider safe and innocent (home, children, toys) that makes horror effective, in my opinion. It's hard to pull off that transition convincingly in a short film, especially without dialogue... but without it I don't feel like there's as much of an opportunity to build tension.

Some really beautiful shots, especially the evening ones (golden hour ftw).

Many thanks for your review :) So you think there is too much creepiness and that makes it hard to build up a real horror feeling. That is very helpful for my team and me. We will work on it and improve this weakness. But I think dialogues are not necessary. Of course, good dialogues contribute to the horror feeling, but there are other ways to convey horror, especially in short films. But that's another topic :)
Again many thanks for your opinion to our latest short film! We really appreciate it :)

Back