The value of a feature 1st AD credit

Haven't been around in a while, but I've been offered 1st AD on a feature coming up.

However due to scheduling and a few other things happening over the coming months, the payoff is that I'll have to quit my job, move out of my house, not see friends and family over Christmas and new years.

None of these things would be an issue for me if the job was a better offer. However, it's only expenses covered, and a tiny amount of token remuneration. On top of that, I'm expecting the film to be a trainwreck.

To keep a long story short there are a lot of red flags. Novice, arrogant and naiive director, skeleton crew (hell, skeleton is an overstatement), shooting in the bush 100km from any city centre, half baked script (its a good script, but its not ready), director is self-producing but we're a month away from shooting and no real pre-production has been done (and I've only been contacted now), directors previous work is a bit rubbish.

That said, the actors on board are good. I don't know how he got them, but its a good cast. The other crew I'll be bringing in if I sign up are also good.

So in short all I really have to gain is the value of having a 1st AD credit on a feature. It'll be a surprise if the film comes out as something good.

I've spoken to a few more experienced colleagues, and opinions (including my own) are split between "you don't really have anything to lose, and it's hard to get a feature 1st AD job" and "don't do it for the sake of your sanity."

Any thoughts?

I don't think a 1st AD is judged by the creative quality of a film.
AD will be judged by other factors.

If you want to be an AD then yeah go for it!

1st AD is a massive credit on a good film, and a massive responsibility with a full sized crew.

If it's a bare bones crew and a film that's unlikely to trouble decent international festivals, then I wouldn't beat yourself up about not taking the job. The benefit of the job will be the experience you gain and the contacts you make, which can be acquired through other ways. But if you plan to start crewing long term, then it's good to start getting experience.

Will there be a time when your job, your family, your house...etc aren't impediments to you taking on a big crewing role?

EDIT: I do appreciate that you know all this, but just giving a general reflection on the sort of question you're asking!

Last edited:
.... I'll have to quit my job, move out of my house.............

None of these things would be an issue for me if the job was a better offer. However, it's only expenses covered, and a tiny amount of token remuneration.........

One practicle question:

can you afford this job?

Your friends and family will understand you are persuing your dreams. You will miss them, they will miss you, but you'll be back.

Another question:

do you feel excited about the idea?

Yep, the experience/credit would be valuable to me. Though the experience wouldn't really be ADing experience - the job is something more like AD/Producer/Line Producer/Script Supervisor/Everything else he doesn't think he needs. I could afford to do the job, but it would come at a pretty big cost. For a project with more obvious positives (e.g. just being paid properly, or me having more belief in the project/director) I wouldn't hesitate, but there were a lot of things I was pretty concerned about.

I ended up turning it down. Several key people dropped out for similar reasons (I believe only the director and 1 actor are left on board). There were just too many red flags.

After having dropped out, I'm glad I did - the conversation became very surreal and excessively pleasant (in a hostile way, if that makes sense), where he basically said "well I don't want you anyway." Perhaps he had already decided I wasn't the right person for him, but it felt like an immature reaction to confrontation/rejection - not really someone I would want to work with anyway. So it goes.

Last edited:
Back