THE REVENANT holy smokes!

What a movie! For the first 40 minutes my jaw was on the floor with the visuals, both location and CGI. The choreography is amazing. Frenetically paced and mesmerizing.

As for the rest of the movie? Really good! However, the pace gets a little slower. There are plenty of more amazing scenes, but you get a chance to relax and take them in.

I mentioned CGI. Well, the average viewer won't notice a bit of it. Of course, it is my nature as a filmmaker to ask, "How the hell did they do that!!" This movie is so seamless, it sets a new bar.

Better to not read the following, as I don't want to stoke expectations too high. :)

Actually, I wasn't. This isn't a Red Box "yay' or "nay." This is going to win for best visuals (cinematography) and special effects. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets best picture, director and actor, as well. THE REVENANT is state of the art and worth discussing from a filmmaking perspective, IMO.

We have something that looks like a western movie, but this isn't TRUE GRIT. It's an Industrial Light and Magic marvel. I'm waiting to hear from some who have seen it. This is possibly the most visceral movie ever made and looks like one of the most grueling shoots, ever. Maybe, I'm alone with my feelings on this?

THE REVENANT is state of the art and worth discussing from a filmmaking perspective, IMO.

That would make sense but it looks to me like you're just discussing it from a viewer perspective. My only take away is that you liked the film.

please by all means begin the film making discussion.

Again, I don't want someone who hasn't seen it to read this.

That would make sense but it looks to me like you're just discussing it from a viewer perspective. My only take away is that you liked the film.

What does it matter that I posted, in the Lobby of all places, about a movie I liked? In this case, THE REVENANT is...very relevant. See it and you'll know why. I am trying not to give too much away, so I'm waiting for people who have seen it to come to this thread. I think Indietalk has had 3 or 4 threads participated in, since I was here 24 hours prior, so I don't see the problem.

I think filmmakers should see and discuss this movie. It is technically amazing in a way that other movies rarely are. It's more amazing to those of us who realize that what you see is not necessarily what was originally shot. It's not a movie for everybody, because much of it is at a slower pace. Also, a lot of it is incredibly gruesome. Kudos to the makeup team!

What impressed the hell out of me was the camera work - a lot of moving wide angle, going from behind and into characters' faces, then pulling back and revealing incredible winter backdrops, for minutes at a time, without a cut! Of course, this was shot by the team behind BIRDMAN and GRAVITY.

It's no secret to most people that
the bear attack is the main event, but man, is it ever a main event! I have been watching a lot of bear movies, lately - BACK COUNTRY, GRIZZLY MAZE and some others. They have been pretty good. Nothing in those will prepare you for this scene. It's as powerful as the T-Rex scene, from JURASSIC PARK. In fact, more so, because of the realism of the animal and the brutality of it. The way the attack concludes made me gasp, literally! The effects are so seamless that many IMDB reviewers are saying the same thing, "How the hell did they do that?" I finally went to IMDB a few hours after posting the thread and was glad to see several responses like mine.

:lol:

I do want to see it. When does it come out on DVD/Bluray?
I tried looking it up but there's some german movie from 2012 with the same name that is clogging all my results .

I tried looking it up but there's some german movie from 2012 with the same name that is clogging all my results .

Yeah, I still have T shirts from 2009's REVENANT horror movie. There's another one, also. :lol:

revenant.jpg

Saw it today for the second time (first time in a theatre). For me, it's solidly among the best films ever made. I'm floored, and I plan to go at least a few more times.

My husband is watching the movie again for the third time. I said they would win at the Golden Globes and they did. I wouldn't be surprised either if they won for cinematography as well. Phenomenal movie.

Thank you for this thread, Scoopicman. Your enthusiasm is simply contagious. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing it. But I haven't seen it, so I can't discuss it yet. I think I'll be seeing it this weekend. Sounds great.

Hey, you might like to check this interview out.

Charlie Rose: "The Revenant," a new film based on a 2002 novel by Michael Punke. Charlie is joined by the film’s director, Alejandro González Iñárritu, and its star, Leonardo DiCaprio.

Yeah it does sound like it was a grueling shoot.

:)

Just saw it. I thought it was pretty good. Not yet sure how I’d score it.

Quibbles.

I didn’t care for some of the camera work, especially in the (near) opening battle sequence. I didn’t like the handheld, shaky cam. I usually don’t like it, though not always. I know they’re trying to immerse us in the action. But because this was annoying, it did the opposite for me.

Too often the camera was too close for my taste. I generally loathe extreme close-ups, anyway. This was especially true in the battle sequence. On the other hand, some of the many other close-ups throughout the film did work well for dramatic purposes.

I also found myself annoyed by some of the, I would say, unconventional, angles. I think there’s a reason why they’re unconventional. Maybe if I see it again, I’ll find I was mistaken about this.

In the third act, why in the world would only the two of them go out after Fitzgerald? You would take a passé, at least a handful of men. It was groan-worthy. And you knew at the get-go the Captain would be killed. It was much like the complaint many of us have about the stupidity of characters’ actions in horror films.

I understand if they had taken a passé then the climax would have been much less climatic. So I can give them a pass on it. However, I always appreciate it when writers or filmmakers figure out a way to give was that dramatic climax without making it so difficult for us to suspend our disbelief in the set-up.

Audio. As in such films as Interstellar, I and my movie buddie had trouble making out the dialogue at times. Not appreciated.

The bear attack was pretty amazing. You could still tell it was CGI a tiny bit, but hardly. Pretty amazing they can get such realism now.

Scenery was pretty amazing.

The acting was good and characterizations were good.

The story was quite good for a revenge tale. I’m generally not all that fond of revenge tales. There’s usually just not much to them —not very satisfying for me. But this film managed to give us a bit more than just the trek towards revenge.

The score was quite good and fit the film well.

I think allowing DiCaprio's breath to steam the camera lens worked quite well.

Last edited:
Richy, I very much agree about that "small" posse, in the third act. That bothered me the most. They should have cut out 20 minutes of the middle of the movie and beefed up the predictable climax. Poor writing there.

I liked the immersive action, with the moving wide angle. It could have been that I had an optimum viewing angle (I prefer the back of the front 1/3rd of the theater), close enough for immersion, but not to close for camera movement. (I remember seeing BOURNE SUPREMACY in the front row. What a mistake!) Farther back than halfway and I might as well be at home. :lol:

I do apologize for possibly over-hyping this for you!
It's just that I couldn't tell "digital anything" with that bear scene. I need to see it, again. That out did JURASSIC's T-Rex, for me.
I was genuinely terrified.

My bottom line:
This is a movie about filmmaking; basically amazing shots and visual effects. There are so many effects in this movie - the first act battle, the bear, etc. that I fully expect this to get the oscar over STAR WARS or anything else. Yet, the average, non-filmmaking viewer would never know that they were even there. The one scene that looked a little CG to me was the wolf pack taking down the buffalo. Still looked good, though.

Scoopicman, oh gosh no, don't apologize for over-hyping it for me. You didn't. In fact, I love it when people share their enthusiasm for a movie. I think the film is both a nice piece of entertainment as well as a work of art. And I expect it to grow on me over time.

Oh yeah…I forgot about that. I agree about the wolf–bison sequence looking a little more CG but still quite good.

I really thought the bear looked great. So good I thought there was a decent chance they used CG and a real bear. I had to google it and found that article I posted, which seems to indicate no real bear. I don't mean to diminish their accomplishment at all. It's amazing.

Another thing I meant to include in my critique above is to compare the bear attack scene in The Revenant to the rape scene in Irreversible. I rather hate to bring the latter up, but there ya go. Actually the Irreversible scene is more grueling, but it seems to me they're similar. And I'm guessing there are not many, if any, like them.

I still haven't seen IRREVERSABLE, but have heard about that scene. Interesting comparison - total violation with violence.

Back