• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

The next version of Blender focuses on Filmmaking

The most recent additions are targeting the film post area, compositing, matchmoving, color correction, more non-3D stuff. Looks like they're making a swiss army knife for filmmaking! 3D Modeling and rendering, post production for compositing, then grading... all they have to do is add editing (which they have in a rudimentary interface already) and they're it for no/micro budget filmmakers. Gone are the 2.5D > 3D compositors (AE and Motion), in with the truly 3D tool... and it's free :) and cross platform!

http://mango.blender.org/

Another great NLE is dropping in a few days ... Lightworks is coming out May 28th for Windows ( FREE as in free beer ! ) . Im waiting for the Linux version meself. Great news on Blender stepping up on the NLE end

Last edited:
Oh wow. I downloaded blender ages ago and found the learning curve to be prohibitive.

The new UI looks like something I could actually wrap my brain around. It'll be cool to see where this goes :)

Back