The new year is upon us

Here we are, the eve of 2023.
Who has a new year resolution?

For me, it's to stop talking and start doing. I've spent far too long gathering the tools I have and not enough time using them...

What about you?

I'm REALLY hoping to get my 3rd feature into pre-production (or even production???) in 2023.

I sent the 1st draft of the screenplay to my collaborator on Thursday & she liked it a lot. Now it's her turn to take a pass at it. Then me. Then her again. You get the idea. We have a producer interested based on our treatment but it's a long way from "interested" to "yes." So fingers & toes are crossed while we work :)

Last edited:
I know it will happen for you, Mara. You've got what it takes. Are you able to give us the gist of the story?

I'll tell you about my project. I mentioned it briefly a while back. It's the story of a group of characters who want more out of life than what has been given to them. They want to make their own way. The status quo wants to stop them. High adventure ensues. In the end, nothing is as it seems. The characters are claymation characters who find themselves obsolete in a technological world that has moved passed them. The story starts out simple enough then gradually shifts to more adult themes. Change never comes without a price and the price is sometimes greater than could have been imagined. Love, duplicity, ulterior motives, control, betrayal..... these things are within the story. I've completed the 1st draft of the script and have started designing the characters. CGI characters set against live action backgrounds. Motion capture animation. I know I should hire voice actors to get the dialog track first, but I think I will owe these people some proof of concept so they understand what I'm doing. I'll need to put together some scenes to show them.

Are you able to give us the gist of the story?
Thanks for your kind words. We're keeping most of it under wraps for the moment but I will say that it deals with medically assisted suicide within a family that has faced many challenges. And of course long-hidden secrets get revealed :)

I think I will owe these people some proof of concept so they understand what I'm doing. I'll need to put together some scenes to show them.

That makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Think positive, my friend. It's going to be a good year. Let's make a pact to both get something accomplished, no matter how hard things get.. From what I read, you're thinking about making a shark movie. Do it. If you need any help, count me in.

yeah, i don't have cancer so i'll try focus on that.
this day brought such bad news for me (don't ask, not health related), combined with the death my puppy back in february, i really hate this year, it was so awful and what makes it worse is it's all my fault, I've fucked up so bad, two biggest mistakes of my life in one year, scars I will have to carry for the rest of my life.

try to be positive, yeah, it's easy to focus on what is lost and harder to focus on what you still have.

I don't think you ever saw Zap, he was very rowdy, I named him Zap because he loved to bite people.
He also loved to cuddle, so it's not like he was a bad dog, he just had a lot of energy and a rowdy nature.

He deserved a safe place to grow up.

here's me and Zap swimming in my parents pool, idk if i'll film the shark thing anymore, it sounds too overwhelming.
i'll do something though. life goes on til it doesn't.

Without going down this potential rabbit hole or sticking my nos into your personal life, sometimes that can be an opening to a better future. I hope it is for you.
Depends on how old your kids are.
Shit gets REALLY messy for guys in custody cases, I saw my best friend go through it.

He spent about $100,000 on lawyer fees to fight all the lies and slander she was throwing at him to gain advantage, and naturally because she is a woman she won custody.

Last edited:
Thanks, Sean and Mara. Your words mean a lot to me :)

I've spent the entire morning putting together my case and, considering the shortness of the marriage (5 years) and other factors, I'm pretty sure I'll keep my house. I might have to pay out some money but not HALF. Utah divorce laws are very fair! I will file 'irreconcilable differences' but if need be, I'm prepared to prove 'constructive abandonment'.

My kids are in their 30's. Her son is in his mid 20s. No issue there. The only real issue is the house. I'm the one who bought it before the marriage. She can keep all the furniture. To me, an empty house just means more room for me to dance and celebrate!

Thanks, Sean and Mara. Your words mean a lot to me :)

I've spent the entire morning putting together my case and, considering the shortness of the marriage (5 years) and other factors, I'm pretty sure I'll keep my house. I might have to pay out some money but not HALF. Utah divorce laws are very fair! I will file 'irreconcilable differences' but if need be, I'm prepared to prove 'constructive abandonment'.

My kids are in their 30's. Her son is in his mid 20s. No issue there. The only real issue is the house. I'm the one who bought it before the marriage. She can keep all the furniture. To me, an empty house just means more room for me to dance and celebrate!
Ah yeah older kids! you're in a position to come out of this on your feet.

As for me, I've been thinking about it, and i'd rank yesterday as either the 3rd or 4th worst day of my life.
But uhh.. i guess it will all be okay if I can write a best selling book. Like THAT is gonna happen lol.

But yeah i can still write and I can still film so I will just focus on that.

Shit happens.

But it's all about connecting the dots, which I am pretty poor at, but this man does it with style and grace.

....and here's my attempt to connect the dots

May the best things happen to you.....

Back