The death of DSLR?

More on the camera here: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=39513

And yes, CF. I think you're right. DSLR video filled in the 1000 to 5000 (camera plus lenses) market segment that was not being provided for in terms of HD quality. DSLR's are mainly a still photography camera and it was inevitable that dedicated HD video cameras designed for that price range with user complaints/requests in mind would emerge.

But the same companies with DSLR's (Canon, Nikon etc.) are also targeting that segment now.

In any case, i always say we have had enough camera quality to make decent films for a long time now at a relatively low price. The camera isnt the main factor, the production and story is.

I agree with Ernest. Something like the GH2 used to be king in the sub $5k range, unless you wanted full frame, then it was the 5D.

But the fact this is dedicated for video and has a thoughtful workflow, plus comes with a $1,000 color grading software, it is the best deal available (or available soon, anyway).

Yeah, yeah, Ernest, so the other thread was already there and is way more informative. But the title of this thread is so much more dramatic! :D

:lol:

But seriously:

It's a completely different topic imho. The other thread is about a camera. This thread is about a dramatic shift between suppliers and indie filmmakers. Im glad you started this thread because when i saw the camera earlier this week, i was wondering the same thing.

Oh, yeah, I totally knew about that other thread, and I started this one with a completely different subject-matter in mind. Yeah, that's the ticket. ;)

Seriously, though -- I think we all knew DSLR, used primarily for video, was a fad. It was only a matter of time before manufacturers began to take notice of what we want, giving us the benefits of DSLR, but packaged in a camera made for video. It's nice to see the shift is beginning to happen. :)

Am I the only one who hates the DSLR form factor and ergonomics? I tolerate(d) it on a DSLR simply because DSLR is what is/was being used. Now we have Scarlet, Epic, BMD all coming out with these DSLR-size cameras. I think they miss the mark. We use(d) DSLR s because of the image quality they gave us, not (primarily) for their size - that's only evidenced by the fac that most DSLR shooters are doing so with some kind of rig, whetehr it be a full blown shoulder rig with EVF, V-lock battery adapters and what have you or just a smaller handles and shoulder with FF, there was still some kind of rig involved - essentially making the camera more like that of a 'real' camera. I hate the ergonomics of the Red Epic and I find it interesting that the immensively more popular Alexa is designed like a 'real' camera with the right ergonomics, size, form factor.

To me, BMDs Cinema Camera looks and feels liek a ~$3k iPhone/Apple-esque camera. I'd say the 'Cinema' tag comes from the supposed 13-stop latitude which again - if they can achieve that without high noise it will be a feat (already hearing in reviews that the picture performance is average in the pre-release NAB demo). As well, I'm hearing that it uses like an iPhone-esque camera. Which is cool for those indie shooters who don't have a budget and want to look cool with their cool new gadget, but for me... I'd struggle to want to use it without a pretty hefty rig and expensive accessories. As well, the reason my 2nd AC takes down 'metadata' in paper form is because we don't have time to sit there after every shot/take and log all the data. Tbh, I can't afford to stop down shooting whilst we type in the metadata, or ask them to hold on before we look at it because i'm just fixing up the autocorrect typos... I want a real camera, not just a a box with a lens...

I think it will have it's place, just like DSLRs do/did, but whether they'll see the light of high-end cinema? Who knows. It's certianly an interesting time in the world of digital cinema.

Last edited:
This guy thinks so http://www.chrisjonesblog.com/2012/04/dslr-is-dead.html

To be honest, I think that this will just encourage the likes of Canon/Nikon/Panasonic etc. to up their game and start introducing more features at a better price point. I think it isn't the death of DSLR but the opportunity for it to progress and hit the next level. Whether you shoot DSLR or opt for a camera like this, I think the BlackMagic is going to create a win-win situation.

Honestly, I'm perfectly fine with my t2i. Heck, I'm fine with my iPhone! Haha
Now, if somebody would come up with an audio gear that was extremely forgiving to inexperienced users mistakes or would have really high voice/ noise ratio, very high quality pre amp and other gizmos for under 400 bucks - now THAT would truly revolutioanize the indie filmmaking :)

Alright! Maybe soon I'll be able to afford a used DSLR now that the suckers.. I mean gear-heads.. go selling of theirs for this. :)
Yeah, I might be right there in line with you.

It looks great and all, but it's still a micro 4/3 sensor - just like in the GH2, so...
And interchangeable lens capabilities - just like the GH2, so...
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/techspecs/

Yay, tech. :rolleyes:

The operating software capabilities are excellent. No contest there.
Otherwise... meh.

More homework:
http://www.google.com/webhp?source=....,cf.osb&fp=98d5445c5607bd30&biw=1599&bih=809

Someone somewhere did need to build a <$2k (I expect the price to come down after the beta-testers get done with it) non-overheating DSLR with a big viewscreen.

I think my magic cam would have:
- APS C sized CMOS, although M4/3 is fine
- HDSD/SD card
- Shoots like a camcorder, no overheating DSLR rubbish
- 5" or 7" viewscreen
- Interchangeable lens capability
- Mic in & Headphones out
All for <$2k.

Now, if somebody would come up with an audio gear that was extremely forgiving to inexperienced users mistakes or would have really high voice/ noise ratio, very high quality pre amp and other gizmos for under 400 bucks - now THAT would truly revolutioanize the indie filmmaking :)
Yeah, if someone made a M4/3 interchangeable lens video camera <$400 or thereabouts that'd be rockin.
I MIGHT could put up with a cr@ppy 3" viewscreen, which really is an impediment for too many filmmaker lily-gilding shots.

Last edited:
Holy crap this is amazing. Raw 12bit with 13stops or pro res 10 bit YUV thats awesome and blows any competition away right there. Pretty much every bit of this camera is ideal for those wanting to get something abit more professional than a DSLR. :clap: fair play blackmagic.

It's a cool camera for sure, and those already vested in Canon gear (the target users) are going to find an easy switch over because their lenses will work!

Regarding form factor, I was a little uneasy when I first heard about it. After playing around some and thinking about it though, I think it's pretty smart. The only reason cameras use to be shoulder mount is because they were finally small/light enough (still 60lbs in earlydays) to get it off a pedestal. Blackmagic thought it out, there's no reason why a camera had to be a traditional form, so what's the next best thing? Innovation is hard to adapt to for most, and this might not be the best camera form ever, but why not try something different? The Sony cinema cameras are more or less cubes, this is just a sliver of that cube.

It's exciting for sure! Can't wait to see it get around.

My mouth dropped when I saw this. It is beautiful looking. Personally I don't think it is the end of the DSLRs and while I might be biased since I just bought my 7D, I don't think the switch is worth it specially not at $3000 dollars. It is definitely an advance though, let see what the future brings! :)

Last edited:
Back