The Canon 4K DSLR is here

It's a phenomenal still camera, but considering the price and video features I'd more than likely go with a Scarlet or the new Sony if I needed 4K.

If I was doing high end photos almost daily on top of video, the new 1D is a no brainer.

I'm probably underestimating Rental, initially at least. A lot of people think more in the $500 to $600 a day range. It undercuts the Epic and Scarlet in price with DSLR form factor. That's a plus to some and a minus to others. If you're a 5D shooter (like I am) and already have rail systems, tripods, follow focuses, lenses, etc... built around an EF mount DSLR body then you take one of these body only and plug it right in to your existing rig. Something I can't do with Red.

It's APS-H in 4K and Full Frame in 1080P. APS-H is 1.28 Crop.

The 1D is considerably larger than a 5D, and not much smaller than a Scarlet. A little, not much. It's a fantastic camera for sure, it feels a little awkward going the DSLR route when you're talking $15k though. For the same price you get real outputs, real audio inputs, RAW video, etc etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to shoot with it! Not on my purchase list though.

The C500, that excites me haha.

$5K is my max purchase price. I'll probably never own a camera that costs more than that. After that I'd rent.

I sort of agree with this.

I would never spend more than $5K camera that lacked HD-SDI (or whatever the standard is at the time), proper time code, XLR ins, peaking, false color, waveform, a useful histogram, and a host of other features that I expect on a camera over that price point, and are absent from that 1d.

c500 expanded frame rates and ability to go 10bit 4:4:4 out is much better, of course out of the realm of reality price wise.

Having said that, I'd have no problem investing large amounts of money into a package given the opportunity, but at this point in time the camera body seems to be the most rapidly changing component. Lenses, support systems, aks, a small light/grip package, and a bag of "tricks" are first on my list. By the time I am ready to invest in a body over $15K there should be some interesting options and if I play my cards right, most of my early investment will still be viable on the new camera.

Last edited:
$15K, WTF?! For that price range (even if just renting), I think I would want a camera that is built for video first.

To get 4K in a dedicated video cam, (Epic, Scarlet, Arri, etc...) you're looking at $5K more than that (and in some cases 2 or 3 times that amount). It's not all that by any means, it's just another option out there, and I think the lowest price point for 4K there is.

I think I melted.

Well, I guess I know what I'm going to be saving up for for the next decade...
JK that'll be for the RED One MX
trollface.jpg

I did read a pretty killer quote haha, it's paraphrased, but I think it represents a lot of the unrealistic expectations the indie film community has had after a $2200 still camera made cinematic video, then even more after a $500 still camera did the same:

"I want an Arri Alexa in a Rebel for $600."

On another "cheap" camera note, There's a lot of demo footage online now showing the new Sony camera's 240p mode. Sure it records in AVCHD, but it's $7,000 with a lot of options including 4K, and if you're worried about codec you can get a Battery pro-res recorder for $1000 and take advantage of it's uncompressed up to 60p output.

Back