• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Thank You IndieTalk

IndieTalk Screenplay Forum Posters:

The time has come for me to offer my sincere thanks to the many posters who have helped me create my Screenplay over the past six months.

I want to personally thank the following posters for their many follow-up posts and thoughtful insight. If I have missed anyone it was not on purpose:

Trueindie
Inarius
Mad_hatter
sweetie
ChimpPhobiaFilm
sfoster
richy
NickClapper
time2focus
victirtiti89
Will_Vincent
DIY

I also want to offer a SPECIAL thanks to the following posters who took the extra time to offer incredibly smart and thoughtful responses. Some of these responses were brilliant and could have commanded thousands of dollars in consulting fees. Many times I was left amazed by the amount of time and reasoning worded within their posts:

directorrik
rayw
FantasySciFi
IndiePaul
maz
ChimpPhobiaFilm

...Yes, ...even you, Rayw!

I know I have been an overly-emotional "pain in the ass" on a lot of issues, but it was all in a quest to have my screenplay the very best I could possibly make it. I challenged all of you on many complex issues that commonly haunt the Spec Script writer and many of you took a great deal of time out of your busy lives to offer very in-depth, well-orchestrated responses.

Much of the information on writing a screenplay can be found using Google searches ....but you can't really get to the meat of it unless you ask the people who are actively writing screenplays (and are maybe suffering the same questions that I have been suffering).

True, this is a very ego-saturated arena, and tempers are easily flared, but I want you all to know that there is NO POSSIBLE WAY I could have created my screenplay without all of your input and direction. I know these forums are "anonymous" by nature and many of you wonder if the shit you write is ever really appreciated (or utilized), well, I can HONESTLY say that your input was truly invaluable to me.

SUMMARY:

I now have a 100% completed, full-length feature film Science Fiction screenplay! It has taken six months to complete and has turned out to be the most complex, heart-wrenching, 117-page artistic endeavor I have ever attempted.

...AND I LOVE EVERY SINGLE PAGE OF IT!

I cannot believe my mind has orchestrated all of these scenes, characters and dialogue into an organized, cohesive story that I can sit down and read ...and actually LOVE!!

I took a frail, meaningless, beat-up female Science officer from another world who was left shattered and broken on a hardwood floor ...and within 117 pages I made her the Queen of the universe with her Giuseppe Zanotti gladiator stilettos firmly planted at the top of the food chain.

I read this script in my mind from FADE IN to FADE OUT every single day and I never get bored with it!

Lastly:

I may not win any awards, and as rayw clearly illustrates, will probably never see it made into a movie, ...but this movie shows on the big screen of my heart every single day. For six months I got to be God, creating people, worlds and happenings, controlling their fate, guiding their actions ...and ultimately offering a sense of Hope that we all search for every day of "real" life. .......It has been one truly great experience for me!

I thank each and every one of you!

-Birdman

Sincere congratulations!

I respect both what a PITA writing a feature length screenplay is (in proper spec format) and the amount of effort you have put into it and yourself to craft it.

Very admirable.

Ray

Congratulations! Where to next? Screenwriting contests?

Consider Page Awards which has a sci-fi category (last deadline is May 15th), Nichols (DEADLINE soon at 5PM PACIFIC!) and Austin Film Festival.

Congrats, Birdman :) May your screenwriting career spread its wings and soar :)

Surely we deserve to be treated to a small excerpt or two now the thing is done?

Congratulations, Birdman! And thanks for including me.

I hope it does get made. I love sci fi, and I'd love to see your sci fi.

...will probably never see it made into a movie, ...but this movie shows on the big screen of my heart every single day. For six months I got to be God, creating people, worlds and happenings, controlling their fate, guiding their actions ...and ultimately offering a sense of Hope that we all search for every day of "real" life. .......It has been one truly great experience for me!
-Birdman

I've been struggling with the question of whether it's worth it to me to continue trying to write a screenplay. Still thinking I'll give it up. But these are the sort of inspirational thoughts that might keep me in it. =)

Congratulations! Where to next? Screenwriting contests?

Consider Page Awards which has a sci-fi category (last deadline is May 15th), Nichols (DEADLINE soon at 5PM PACIFIC!) and Austin Film Festival.

Page and Austin are definites. I already entered the Nicholl ...but I noticed a mistake seconds after hitting the submit button. I HATE it when that happens! It was a small mistake, but ya gotta have perfection if you expect to do well in anything.

I'm also considering the "The Cynosure Screenwriting Awards." as they favor strong female leads ...but I'm not sure how well a female alien will be received.

-Birdman

Cool to read it's finished!
Nice to see the appreciation for the people who helped you :)
(I wasn't one of them, I hardly hang out in the screenwriting section :P )

Keep us posted on the contests!

Birdman,
This is wonderful news indeed! Finishing a screenplay is a great achievement, if made by professional standards, with serious work and study behind it, and not just for fun or out of boredom. I remember reading some of your posts in which you said your script was well over 120 and even 200 pages long. Getting it down to 117 pages wasn't an easy task. This means it's now within the accepted standard! I think you should try to send it out there(contests, submission to companies/agencies, etc.). If your dream is having a screenwriting career and you really enjoy writing than by all means, let these people know. Some might not like it. You might get rejected and criticized, but do not give up. Don't let mean remarks and rejection make you give up your dream! A lot of people say this is an impossible goal, but the fact that many screenwriters break in on a regular basis proves otherwise..:) Remember, Bill Marsilii and Terry Rossio were once just like us. The same goes for many other well-known screenwriters and directors. One day, you'll be giving interviews too, and it all started here, on this very forum. In the end, I'd like to thank you for letting us know of your recent success!

Congrats on the script Birdman. I'm truly happy for you.

I hope you get to make the film.

ps. I think you might be the first person on this board to have thanked the board in this way for any help you might have received. I don't think I've ever done it. And lord knows I'm always seeking help.

I wish you both the best as your script heads off into the wide world. The first one is the most difficult though each one offers its own challenges. It sounds like a child, and, in a sense, it is since we live, breathe and create the characters and world in our hearts and minds. And in that sense, we also become very protective parents. It's not that we love any of our brain-children any less, but the first is always closest to us. I hope you continue to come around so we can follow the kid's progress.

It's always helpful to have contributions that really wake up the forum to think. I've enjoyed the thoughts and comments you've shared. Trying to support each other is what we do. Sometimes in a loud, noisy, argumentative family sort of way! :mad::rolleyes: It's all good. Thanks for the birth announcement :cheers: Good luck and best wishes!

I don't know you and I'm still new to IndieTalk, but I know that completing a script is immensely difficult, so I wanted to offer you my CONGRATULATIONS!

That is all. Very happy that you are a screenwriter now and not just a guy who has a great idea for a screenplay. :)

Best of luck to you!

Congrats Birdman! And thank you for mentioned me, I appreciate it. I also appreciate you bringing some more ambition and enthusiasm to the forum. And kudos to you for WRITING A FEATURE LENGTH SCREENPLAY!!!! :D:):D

internet-high-five.jpg

You not weakling pigeon, but mighty hawk.

- Dominic

Congrats Birdman! And thank you for mentioned me, I appreciate it. I also appreciate you bringing some more ambition and enthusiasm to the forum. And kudos to you for WRITING A FEATURE LENGTH SCREENPLAY!!!!

You not weakling pigeon, but mighty hawk.

- Dominic

Oh crap, it's the CHIMP! :eek:

tumblr_l4cszmx2uR1qa010co1_500.png

Congrats again Birdman! And what's up Chimp? Please don't kill me in my sleep. *shivers* :no:

Back