• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Tell me EVERYTHING I need to record sound..please :)

So far all I know is I need a boom pole, mic, wind shield and of course a camera with a mic hookup.

But Ive seen people talk about portable audio recorders, and those (clip on shirt) wireless mics.

I am just starting out.

Can someone help me with a list, please?

Shotgun, Boom, Cable, Recorder is the absolute minimum for the all purpose on set kit.

Then add more variety of type/brand/model of mics as each mic has its own characteristics that work best in different situations... more cables... better recording gear / a mixer allowing you to mix/record more sources at once... crew to put behind all of the new gear :)

to answer the question even more directly (but probably in a less helpful manner)... yes. It can potentially connect to one or the other depending on whether you're recording to the camera or a separate recording unit (the latter as mentioned above will tend to be better sound and safer). Direct to camera will save a little time synching up the audio to the video later, but be lower quality...

That said, if you have to buy your kit a little at a time... and your camera has XLR inputs, you can certainly record to the camera while saving up to get an external recorder.

Back