Tascam DR-40 to buy or not

Hi all.

I was browsing youtube vids and I came across some guy that said he would recommend the Tascam DR-40 as the way to go for recording sound.

Would people that are knowledgeable agree with this, or say that there is a better option?

I'd suggest:

Tascam DR-60D/Zoom h6n. If you can afford to stretch to the next price range, you'd benefit from the Tascam DR-680, especially if you need a smoother workflow if dealing with more than 2 audio channels (Wireless).

Microphone: It's hard for me to recommend anything below a Rode NTG-3.

Wireless: I wouldn't go any lower than the Sennheiser G3 (times how many you need, 2 or 3). If you want to kick in for better microphones like CountryMan B6.

Obviously boompole, blimp, deadcat.

A boatload of Eneloop Rechargable AA batteries and one or two good 16bay intelligent battery chargers.

It'll probably set you back in the $3k to $4k. Even at that level of investment, it's probably isn't going to sound professional unless you invest in post sound, but it's a good step in the right direction.

And if you didn't have 3-4k to spend?

And if you didn't have 3-4k to spend?

Then you

a). buy the cheaper gear and live with the cheaper result and hope like hell your soundie is skilled enough to overcome some of the limitations of the gear.

b) find a soundie with the gear and pay them.

c) pretty much write off any festival above minors/locals.

For major festivals, theatrical releases (great or small), broadcast/commercials, and greater-than-hosting distribution you pretty much need good gear to get good results - UNLESS... you really knock a viral ball out of the park!
<sniggers> Good luck with that! That's what we're ALL trying to do!

sperm-4-animated-gif400px.gif

Otherwise, the DR-40 et al are fine for direct-to-youtube, DIY VOD, and hosting distributor productions.

c) pretty much write off any festival above minors/locals.

For major festivals, theatrical releases (great or small), broadcast/commercials, and greater-than-hosting distribution you pretty much need good gear to get good results - UNLESS... you really knock a viral ball out of the park!
<sniggers> Good luck with that! That's what we're ALL trying to do!

sperm-4-animated-gif400px.gif

Otherwise, the DR-40 et al are fine for direct-to-youtube, DIY VOD, and hosting distributor productions.

For some reason I find that pic really disturbing...don'y know why, maybe because I am still half asleep...Ok so spending under 3-4k puts me out of the running based on sound unless I have some sort of audio guy that is like a total audio capturing god....fair enough.

Back