Tascam DR-40 as an external recorder(ultra low budget)

Hi, I'm looking to get an external sound recording device. It will mainly be used for promo videos and short films. I know it's nowhere near as good as something like a Marantz or a Dr100 but right now I just record all my sound through my dslr mic input with magic lantern installed and a Rode Videomic. Surely this will at least give me better sound than that?

I'm on an ultra low budget, the DR 40 seems to do the same as the Zoom h4n but cheaper. When I do higher budget short films I can rent out better sound equipment, but I want something I can use for my no/low budget stuff that will give me better results than my dslr mic input. Mainly just youtube stuff for now. I can sell it and get better kit later on when I have money.

Is the DR 40 any decent in this regard? My only mic is the Rode Videomic(which I'd need to buy an XLR adaptor to use with the Tascam) but I'm saving up to buy the Rode NTG-2.

As I mention so often, capturing solid sound on a budget is more about knowledge and skill than about the gear. The first bit of knowledge is that you are always fighting the deficiencies and limitations of budget gear.

What is it about your sound currently that has made you decide to upgrade your audio recorder?

Is someone swinging your RVM on a boom, or is the RVM camera mounted? If you are camera mounted a better audio recorder will not help.

So, give us/me a few more details and we/I will be able to assist you a little better.

I agree with mckinise - the DR-40 sounds a lot better with a balanced, powered mic. Plugging an unbalanced prosumer mic into a quality recorder may give you less than optimum results (I can say that because I tried it :)).

Would your budget support selling the RVM and buying both the DR-40 and a quality used pro mic at the same time?

You can get an all-metal phantom/battery powered Audio Technica AT-835b for £112 from Roberts Camera in the US via eBay UK. I use an old AT-835b with my DR-40 (I also use it plugged directly into my camera), and it works a treat.

And here is an auction for an AT-877 from a UK professional who is leaving the trade. Auction starts at £75 and ends 4 days from now.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi, I'm looking to get an external sound recording device. It will mainly be used for promo videos and short films. I know it's nowhere near as good as something like a Marantz or a Dr100 but right now I just record all my sound through my dslr mic input with magic lantern installed and a Rode Videomic. Surely this will at least give me better sound than that?

I'm on an ultra low budget, the DR 40 seems to do the same as the Zoom h4n but cheaper. When I do higher budget short films I can rent out better sound equipment, but I want something I can use for my no/low budget stuff that will give me better results than my dslr mic input. Mainly just youtube stuff for now. I can sell it and get better kit later on when I have money.

Is the DR 40 any decent in this regard? My only mic is the Rode Videomic(which I'd need to buy an XLR adaptor to use with the Tascam) but I'm saving up to buy the Rode NTG-2.

i have a tascam dr-40 and a ntg-1 (i think youl find the ntg-2 isnt great for the dr-40)

i also have a boom pole and a rode blimp, for £15 a day you can rent it from me, but id have to be there when you use it of course.

As I mention so often, capturing solid sound on a budget is more about knowledge and skill than about the gear. The first bit of knowledge is that you are always fighting the deficiencies and limitations of budget gear.

What is it about your sound currently that has made you decide to upgrade your audio recorder?

Is someone swinging your RVM on a boom, or is the RVM camera mounted? If you are camera mounted a better audio recorder will not help.

So, give us/me a few more details and we/I will be able to assist you a little better.

Well the Rode Videomic is boomed and attached to a 3m extension cord which plugs into the camera. The cord isn't that long so when its plugged into the camera it's a bit limiting in where the mic can be. Especially if its a wide shot.

I agree with mckinise - the DR-40 sounds a lot better with a balanced, powered mic. Plugging an unbalanced prosumer mic into a quality recorder may give you less than optimum results (I can say that because I tried it :)).

Would your budget support selling the RVM and buying both the DR-40 and a quality used pro mic at the same time?

You can get an all-metal phantom/battery powered Audio Technica AT-835b for £112 from Roberts Camera in the US via eBay UK. I use an old AT-835b with my DR-40 (I also use it plugged directly into my camera), and it works a treat.

And here is an auction for an AT-877 from a UK professional who is leaving the trade. Auction starts at £75 and ends 4 days from now.

Cheers,

Bill

I may be able to get a 2nd hand Zoom H4n for £110 which is cheaper than the Tascam DR 40 and some say is better than the Tascam? I'd like to keep my Videomic for backup and for 1-man event filming where non sync sound would be too much trouble. But I could sell my Blue Snowball mic(which sucks)and invest in a second hand mic yeah.

I was thinking of the Rode NTG2 but like 8salicious9 says it doesn't work too well with the Tascam/Zoom? I've heard that somewhere else as well. So maybe the Rode NTG1? That AUDIO TECHNICA AT877 looks very interesting though,I might make a cheeky little bid and might win it. Do you think that would be better than a Rode NTG1?

EDIT: The NTG1 seems quite pricey on Ebay, the NTG2 is actually cheaper.

Last edited:
the Rode Videomic is boomed and attached to a 3m extension cord which plugs into the camera. The cord isn't that long so when its plugged into the camera it's a bit limiting in where the mic can be. Especially if its a wide shot.

So why not get an extension cable? There is the potential for RF and other interference problems, but getting the mic in closer (and properly aimed!) will improve your sound a great deal.

... some say is better than the Tascam?

The H4n is very flimsy, and the mic preamps are noisier than the DR-40 or DR-100, so, no, I would not say it is better.

I was thinking of the Rode NTG2 but like 8salicious9 says it doesn't work too well with the Tascam/Zoom? I've heard that somewhere else as well. So maybe the Rode NTG1? That AUDIO TECHNICA AT877 looks very interesting though,I might make a cheeky little bid and might win it. Do you think that would be better than a Rode NTG1? EDIT: The NTG1 seems quite pricey on Ebay, the NTG2 is actually cheaper.

The NTG-2 (and Audio Technica AT897) are more expensive because they have internal battery powered electronics which supply the phantom power; this also makes them a little longer and a trifle bit heavier. The big drawback is that they have lower output levels than most other shotgun mics, as much as -6dB. The NTG-1 and AT875 are okay budget mics; the "drawback" with them and most other shotguns mics is that they rely upon the recorder or mixer for their phantom power supply, so deplete the batteries of budget recorders and mixers quite rapidly.

The NTG-1 or AT875 combined with the DR-40 or DR-100 (and a boom-pole, shock-mount, wind protection, etc.) is a good place to start. As I have mentioned time and again, capturing solid sound on a budget is more about knowledge and skill than about the gear.

So why not get an extension cable? There is the potential for RF and other interference problems, but getting the mic in closer (and properly aimed!) will improve your sound a great deal.

The H4n is very flimsy, and the mic preamps are noisier than the DR-40 or DR-100, so, no, I would not say it is better.

The NTG-2 (and Audio Technica AT897) are more expensive because they have internal battery powered electronics which supply the phantom power; this also makes them a little longer and a trifle bit heavier. The big drawback is that they have lower output levels than most other shotgun mics, as much as -6dB. The NTG-1 and AT875 are okay budget mics; the "drawback" with them and most other shotguns mics is that they rely upon the recorder or mixer for their phantom power supply, so deplete the batteries of budget recorders and mixers quite rapidly.

The NTG-1 or AT875 combined with the DR-40 or DR-100 (and a boom-pole, shock-mount, wind protection, etc.) is a good place to start. As I have mentioned time and again, capturing solid sound on a budget is more about knowledge and skill than about the gear.

Damnit, hopefully someone outbids me for that Zoom H4N so I can get the Tascam DR 40 instead lol. Instead of getting another extension cable(I already have a 3 meter one) I'd rather get an external recorder so the boom person can stand closer to the subject and we don't have to worry about the mic wire coming from the camera being in the shot. I think I may go for that AT877 on ebay, seems like a good price for what it comes with. Is there any advantage in getting a blimp apart from extra protection?

I'm not familiar with the AT877, and cannot find it on the Audio Technica web-site. My guess is that the "AT877" is really a mislabeled AT897. The little that I can find out about it indicates that it uses the battery-powered phantom scheme, and considering that the NTG-2, AT897 and other mics that use an internal battery for phantom power it will probably have the lower output levels common to those types of mics. Considering the weak preamps of the DR series of Tascam recorders you may have low volume level issues.

A blimp can greatly reduce wind noise when you are shooting outdoors.

Back