T2I What to Buy?

I've decided that I want to get the T2I. So what lens and accessories are a must to get started with one, and where should I buy it, and what price should I go for? I also would like to know if there's any good shoulder or carrying mounts that work well with the T2I that can hold a mic? I really want to get a 50mm sigma lens to go with it any sugestions for something better for cheaper? Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I've decided that I want to get the T2I. So what lens and accessories are a must to get started with one, and where should I buy it, and what price should I go for? I also would like to know if there's any good shoulder or carrying mounts that work well with the T2I that can hold a mic? I really want to get a 50mm sigma lens to go with it any sugestions for something better for cheaper? Thanks for reading.

Generally speaking, you want to get microphones off the camera and on to a boom pole, as you won't pick up any of the camera handling noise. The 550D is not very good for recording sound - the current consensus seems to be that the Zoom H4n recorder and Røde NTG-2 microphone are the cheapest package that will give you good sound.

There are loads of companies producing shoulder mounts for DSLRs; unless you have more money than sense, stay away from Zacuto for shoulder rigs. On the very cheap end, Adorama do a shoulder mount that costs only $40 or so - it won't be as great as the more expensive ones, and I wouldn't want to put a massively heavy cmaera on it, but it's a good starting point.

Is that the Sigma 50mm f/1.4? The Canon branded 50mm of the same speed is a bit cheaper, I think. You'll probably want a wider prime as well, as the 50mm is a moderate telephoto on the 550D.

Finally, if you have a quick search of the forums there are quite a few people who have asked similar questions before, so you'll be able to find out a bit more there :)

The Canon 50mm 1.8 prime is a fantastic first lens on a budget. Way over half the price of the 1.4 version but def not half as good. You can get them for about 100 bucks I think and it's a clear improvement over the kit lens and great in low light.

Get yourself a waterproof carry case and a good tripod too.

Everything chilipie said, I agree 100%. In addition, I actually like the versatility of the kit lens. I'd say kit plus 50mm prime are the minimum essentials, and a wide prime will definitely come in handy.

Also, because it's not mentioned anywhere in your post, though I assume you either already have one, or are planning on getting one, just to be safe I have to mention a tripod. Get a sturdy one, with a fluid head. I don't have any specifics to recommend, because I actually totally botched this purchase, and regretted it big time. I spent $100, and thought I had purchased a solid tripod. It turned out to be an absolute worthless piece of crap, and now the impression I get is that $200 is the minimum to spend on a good one.

The Canon 50mm 1.8 prime is a fantastic first lens on a budget. Way over half the price of the 1.4 version but def not half as good. You can get them for about 100 bucks I think and it's a clear improvement over the kit lens and great in low light.

Get yourself a waterproof carry case and a good tripod too.

And if you can, get a 50mm f/1.8 MKI, rather than the MKII - same optics, but the original has a proper focus ring and distance scale, and a metal mount.

I just got me a T2i. It came w/ an 18-55 IS lens. I purchased one of them thar nifty 50s 1.8 for $100 and I called up Adorama and got me some FD primes.. a 24mm 2.0 $90 , a Vivitar 90mm 2.5 $129, and a 135mm 2.5 $69 along with an FD - EOS adapter. I also got me some ND & CPL filters and step up rings so I can use the same set of filters on all the lenses. . Im building my own shoulder mount rig ( SEE BELOW ) , my second one as I sold the first. I am now waiting for shoulder mount #2 to get powder coated . Time to PLAAAAAY !

Im sure after I knock over my next liquor store and get some $$$, Id like to add a longer zoom w/ IS at least and mebbe a fisheye like an 8mm and a matte box and some lights and this kiddo will then be ready Freddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8hqopUcA-E

Last edited:
I just got me a T2i. It came w/ an 18-55 IS lens. I purchased one of them thar nifty 50s 1.8 for $100 and I called up Adorama and got me some FD primes.. a 24mm 2.0 $90 , a Vivitar 90mm 2.5 $129, and a 135mm 2.5 $69 along with an FD - EOS adapter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd been warned to stay away from FD lenses - the distance from the sensor means that they need an optical (rather than just mechanical) adaptor, so you lose a bit of light, some image quality and the final image is cropped/zoomed-in slightly… still, a 24mm f/2 would be nice :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd been warned to stay away from FD lenses - the distance from the sensor means that they need an optical (rather than just mechanical) adaptor, so you lose a bit of light, some image quality and the final image is cropped/zoomed-in slightly… still, a 24mm f/2 would be nice :)

I just got my box of FD primes, put on the adapter and VIOLA - Major buzzkill... Cannot focus beyond 2 feet, the adapter ( CZFDEOSA ) does not have any glass in it . I called Adorama up and they said possibly need a different adapter w/ glass... GRRRRRRR all the youtube vids show glass in the adapter.. soooo...

Unless Im doing something wrong here

Back