Synthetic Life. Whah-hah?

Craig Venter on his book “Life at the Speed of Light: From the Double Helix to the Dawn of the Digital Age.

Great interview.

Oh hey. Far out.

And Mars? Awesome.

I don't know why people are concerned about taking life to Mars. I mean, if what he says is true, that Mars and Earth are continually sharing soil, what are the chances they don't already have some of the same bacteria or genes or whatever anyway? And, like he suggests about the impracticality of sterilizing the people who go there, I would ask, hey, even if they could completely sterilize a human being of all of its bacterial life, wouldn't that kind of kill the human being? I mean, if it's true that we actually require certain bacteria to function, digestively, in particular, how could we live without them?

They gotta go with us.

Anyway, we don't have a Prime Directive. The Prime Directive is stupid. I say, hell, let's start sending life over there right now. Colonize that b----, er, place. Sort of like in Red Planet. Although, I sure hope they don't turn into nasty man-eating thingies! But that was stupid. Anyway, Mission to Mars is the better film, by a long shot.

And, I hate to be the guy who voices the "be careful playing God" blah blah. Maybe this is a dumb, layman's, ignorant question. But, what happens when one of these engineered algae that produces gas, which he brings up, gets loose and does fill the oceans full of oil?

Just wondering. Is that a possibility? I don't think I'd like that.

But what I'm wondering about most of all is, when do these go into production?

Cause I want one.

Well, as we all know, they would need to sort a few bugs out first. But given that, I'm sure they'll have great product on their hands. On sale for the 2021 holiday season?

But what I'm wondering about most of all is, when do these go into production?

They're already here!

p1157_column_grid_12.jpg

Just send a container full of Robosapiens up there, each with a bucket and spade. We'll be moving in before you know it. :)

impracticality of sterilizing the people who go there
Random fact: There are more bacterial cells living in a human body than there are human cells.

I have been wondering if you could induce volcanic eruptions to add mass to the martian atmosphere. Maybe you could nuke some some thin areas of the crust on a mantle hot spot or possibly old calderas.

The great thing about Homo sapiens is our capacity for complex Culture. Whereas ALL other earthly species must genetically adapt in order to live in a dramatically environment, we adapt culturally. We can and will live wherever we want.

That being said, I think the wiser strategy for survival of our species, at least in the short-term, is to focus on not destroying the planet we already live on.

P.S. I don't want any of those artificial life-forms pictured above. I'd like to see one of these:

DataTNG.jpg

:)

Back