• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Sweet Lil Red

Should we make this into a feature film?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This was shot during Full Sail University's 6 hour film contest. We had exactly 6 hour to write, shoot, and edit our film with a mystery prop. We were given a mystery prop the day of and it turned out to be a plastic water bottle. Sweet Lil Red is a dark twist on Little Red Riding Hood and we are currently showing the film to others to garner opinions. What we really want to know is should we make it into a feature length film or just leave it as a concept.

You can check out https://www.facebook.com/SweetLilRed for some behind the scenes photos, two versions of the video one, and future updates on the film. There is also a poll there asking if we should make it into a feature. We value your opinion on this and would love to hear from you.

The video below is with no color grading or music. If you'd like to see that you can check out our video on the Facebook page with that or check it out on Vimeo at https://vimeo.com/54634481

*Warning* This video contains blood and violence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Az4upu2gA

personally i wouldnt, from this for me it was lacking anything that said oh this is original and interesting, even if it is a take on red riding hood, the filming in itself was pretty boring, i wanted to see closeups and better action scripting.

give it some oomph then maybe, but at this stage for me no

This was written, filmed and edited in 6 hours for a contest. That includes the making of the costume for Red. We were limited by how much time we had to do all the tasks and the fact that we could only have 1 -2 minutes of footage for the contest. There is more footage that was shot just not added into that clip. As for more action and closeups those are things we can add in the feature when we have more time to work on it. I appreciate the input from both of you.

This was written, filmed and edited in 6 hours for a contest. That includes the making of the costume for Red. We were limited by how much time we had to do all the tasks and the fact that we could only have 1 -2 minutes of footage for the contest. There is more footage that was shot just not added into that clip. As for more action and closeups those are things we can add in the feature when we have more time to work on it. I appreciate the input from both of you.

probably you should make it into a 10 minute short or something then go from there

Reminded me of "Hard Candy" -- I liked the premise of it. I say go for it!!

I have never seen Hard Candy but from the description I can see where it would look somewhat similar. The main difference I see in ours and theirs is ours is set in the fairy tale world where as theirs focuses on online predators. I was also reading on IMDB where the writer claims he never intended for the connection to little red riding hood but instead had a limited clothes budget and the red was the only thing that would stand out in the scenes. The connection to Red didn't come till international marketing. Thanks again for pointing it out!

be sure to work on camera angles and make more artistic shots. i agree with 8salacious9, do CU, ECU shots. too many long shots are boring except when you make them establishing shots. in this film you should have done close ups to emphasize emotions and actions. though you only have few hours to shoot it, you should have cut some long shots and did close ups. and also i noticed you do a lot of zooming. minimize zooming, dolly instead.

i know you may have known all those stuff i said, but it's worthwile as a reminder. cheers :D

be sure to work on camera angles and make more artistic shots. i agree with 8salacious9, do CU, ECU shots. too many long shots are boring except when you make them establishing shots. in this film you should have done close ups to emphasize emotions and actions. though you only have few hours to shoot it, you should have cut some long shots and did close ups. and also i noticed you do a lot of zooming. minimize zooming, dolly instead.

i know you may have known all those stuff i said, but it's worthwile as a reminder. cheers :D

I know some of it. I am still a film student. Just started my 2nd year of 3 so I am still learning. :) We have only had 2 classes thus far that weren't the basic stuff I had to do for my degree so lots to learn still. As for a dolly shot that and a jib are on my list of equipment to get in the very near future. I am going to work on the artistic elements once we begin working on the feature. I appreciate all the tips I can get.

Wow, you're in a film school. I learn film by myself and tips from other people and forum like this. I watch a lot of youtube vids and read a lot of film making technique books. I am a geologist by profession just so you know hahahaha :D I started learning film only this year.

Try to invest on glidecam if you plan to do a lot of feature films. that gliding effect when properly used in a particular scene can make your film looks stunning. and also try to invest on fast lenses. start with the nifty fifty, 50mm 1.8 thaat is, if you don't have one yet. BOKEH effect is a MUST for that film look video.

cheers and i hope to hear see your works in the future.

I know some of it. I am still a film student. Just started my 2nd year of 3 so I am still learning. :) We have only had 2 classes thus far that weren't the basic stuff I had to do for my degree so lots to learn still. As for a dolly shot that and a jib are on my list of equipment to get in the very near future. I am going to work on the artistic elements once we begin working on the feature. I appreciate all the tips I can get.

Make the equipment you need. The dolly, jig, steady cam etc are all easily done with hardware store supplies.
:)

Wow, you're in a film school. I learn film by myself and tips from other people and forum like this. I watch a lot of youtube vids and read a lot of film making technique books. I am a geologist by profession just so you know hahahaha :D I started learning film only this year.

Try to invest on glidecam if you plan to do a lot of feature films. that gliding effect when properly used in a particular scene can make your film looks stunning. and also try to invest on fast lenses. start with the nifty fifty, 50mm 1.8 thaat is, if you don't have one yet. BOKEH effect is a MUST for that film look video.

cheers and i hope to hear see your works in the future.

Right now the only lens I have is the lens that came with the camera. It can be seen here

Right now the only lens I have is the lens that came with the camera.

Okay, so i suggest you get that canon nifty fifty (50mm f1.8). that's the cheapest good lens in the market. you can get it around 90-100 dollars. its wide appertura sure will give you that coveted bokeh effect. cheers.

Okay, so i suggest you get that canon nifty fifty (50mm f1.8). that's the cheapest good lens in the market. you can get it around 90-100 dollars. its wide appertura sure will give you that coveted bokeh effect. cheers.

I was looking at a couple Nikon primes. I was looking at a 50mm and a 35 mm but for the two of them it was like $450 before the adapter for my camera.

Back