Surrealism

Hey all,

I have watched a few surreal videos, but I am having a hard time grasping the purpose of surrealist videos. When ever I look up the meaning, it all looks like gibberish to me. Maybe I'm thick, but has anyone got a simple definition of surrealism?

Thanks again

Josh :cheers:

Wel original surrealism is a painting style. That bloomt after WOI. It was a painting stille that mimmic't the dream likke conditions. Dream worlds. Not fantasy, but a world where dream logick works, Dali and esher are exsamples of that.
The first sureal movie made, was called Un chien andalou, 1929. It was made by Salvador Dalí and Luis Buñuel.
Also....some surealistich movies have a hidden simbols and meaning in it. David Linch movies are most of the time about Mastrubation and fear. Songs of the second floor, is how the human race, is in panic and makes the same mistakes al over again. The human race condition its ofspring to make the same mistakes.

Part of surrealism is blending shared symbolism with personal metaphors (reinforcing the "dream logic" that Feutus mentioned). So a gun on a table might illicit the same response from you and I, but an eggplant might mean something completely different. Because of that, often in surrealist works there's no "right" interpretation, just a personal response. Good surrealist works will inspire your subconscious to think or feel, whereas poorer works will seem like randomness for the sake of randomness. Contrast this with "outsider art", which is all about personal expression without the desire for communication. Surrealism is still talking to the audience, whereas the outsider has no interest in the audience. Connections, if they happen, are more by chance than by intent.

Also important to note, in the world of art, surrealism specifically grew out of Dada, which was highly political and confrontational. Surrealism expanded on the ideas and techniques, and the focus is a lot broader. Think early punk rock going into post-punk. Lots of shared elements, but creating very different expressions. Dada, because the focus is so much narrower, is a little bit easier to get a handle on, so it's a good place to start if you want to understand more about surrealism.

There is, by the by, some surrealist music out there too. Nurse With Wound is one of the more obvious choices. If you are interested in exploring surrealism more, check out the album "Spiral Insana". It's a good starting place, heartbreaking and exausting, inappropriately funny and schizophrenic, bordering on paranoid. Great stuff!

Oh, and hey, Songs from the Second Floor! I haven't seen that in a while, but I loved it!

Okay, enough pretentious artsy babble from me!

There is, by the by, some surrealist music out there too. Nurse With Wound is one of the more obvious choices. If you are interested in exploring surrealism more, check out the album "Spiral Insana". It's a good starting place, heartbreaking and exausting, inappropriately funny and schizophrenic, bordering on paranoid. Great stuff!

Sounds a bit like early Noise or soundscapes, I realy like this....Made a DJ mix ussing soundscapes, breakcore Bsides and IDM vinyl records.

http://soundcloud.com/feutus-lapdance/between-love-and-loneliness

Last edited:
Sounds a bit like early Noise or soundscapes, I realy like this....Made a DJ mix ussing soundscapes, breakcore Bsides and IDM vinyl records.

http://soundcloud.com/feutus-lapdance/between-love-and-loneliness

Awesome, I'll have to check out your mix this evening! I don't DJ much myself, but when it do, ambient and noise records always find their way in the mix :D

NWW definitely come out of the late-70s noise scene, though more influenced by 70s Krautrock (Can, Faust, etc) than 20th Century classical, as much of that era's noise was. There's not a lot of distinctly surrealist music, but Randy Grief touches on it a lot (he's usually more cut-up/reappropriation collages, might be up your alley as a DJ who likes noise). If you like that, H.N.A.S. is worth checking out too.

Sometimes people accuse me of being intentionally too obscure when talking about music, but I'm not trying to be an asshole. There's just TONS of awesome music out there and I love sharing it! And drawing comparison to movements in art and music to gain a better understanding and appreciation for both...man, I live for stuff like this!

David Linch movies are most of the time about Mastrubation and fear. .

You sound pretty educated about Mr Lynch's movies.

IMO surrealism explores our innermost being. Yes that includes fear and sexuality only for starters. Love, passion, hate, anger, loneliness, shame, confusion, strife, security, insecurity, jealousy and so much more streaming in and out of our thoughts is a good portrayal of surrealism is my thought. I cannot say more because Im scared to death of being caught in public masturbating while explaining surrealism and the monkey will bite my...... oops, sorry

You sound pretty educated about Mr Lynch's movies.

IMO surrealism explores our innermost being. Yes that includes fear and sexuality only for starters. Love, passion, hate, anger, loneliness, shame, confusion, strife, security, insecurity, jealousy and so much more streaming in and out of our thoughts is a good portrayal of surrealism is my thought. I cannot say more because Im scared to death of being caught in public masturbating while explaining surrealism and the monkey will bite my...... oops, sorry

Well....I was maby over excaturating.....But...... Eraiser head and Mulholland Drive have a lot of hidden Mastrubation.

Back