• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Stylized Noir-Style Music Video - Looking for feedback

I’d love some feedback on a music video I did for my band recently.

Part of the music video is a super-stylized noir look, and part of it has a glitchy electric computerized feel. Feel free to comment on the cinematography, VFX, or even the song. Let me know if you think this worked!

Would have stuck with one style as opposed to mixing glitch and noir.

The close up shots looked great, and I enjoyed the Noir look more than the glitch look. But the far away static shots you could tell were digitally animated (digital zooms, movement, push ins, dolly stuff).

What type of camera was used?

Would have stuck with one style as opposed to mixing glitch and noir.

The close up shots looked great, and I enjoyed the Noir look more than the glitch look. But the far away static shots you could tell were digitally animated (digital zooms, movement, push ins, dolly stuff).

What type of camera was used?

Good feedback. Thanks for watching. I’m glad the noir style worked for you. Fair point about the two different styles - I chose to switch between them for thematic reasons, but a case can be made for just sticking with the stronger visual theme throughout. Shot on Sony A7s ii. Thanks for the feedback!

Agree with @onebaldman about the static shots - the digital pan/zooms don't really work (especially when repeated) and the proportions are that annoying "nearly-the-same-but-not-quite" scale that makes it look like a bad attempt at compositing.

The switch between "film noir" and "glitch" didn't bother me in itself, but I thought that the colours between glitches were too saturated, making it effectively three switches rather than two, and that was a bit of a distraction.

Perhaps it's because of my own background, but I was a bit disappointed not to see more extreme close-ups in the "noir" shots - all the best shots were in the glitchy sections!

Agree with @onebaldman about the static shots - the digital pan/zooms don't really work (especially when repeated) and the proportions are that annoying "nearly-the-same-but-not-quite" scale that makes it look like a bad attempt at compositing.

The switch between "film noir" and "glitch" didn't bother me in itself, but I thought that the colours between glitches were too saturated, making it effectively three switches rather than two, and that was a bit of a distraction.

Perhaps it's because of my own background, but I was a bit disappointed not to see more extreme close-ups in the "noir" shots - all the best shots were in the glitchy sections!

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I wish we could have gotten actual handheld shots for those wide shots you’re talking about. But the crew was just me, and I’m in the video! So I had to try to make that digital shaky stuff work.

Thanks for watching!

Back