Stupid thinds we do

I'll start because this is stupid.

While talking with my hands today, I flung a $200 77mm B+W variable neutral density filter across the room. Normally, ceramic tile floors are very forgiving, and thankfully it didn't break into a thousand pieces. It only cracked the glass up the middle.

Tag, you're it!

I was planning on shooting a few things with a friend outside later today, but I forgot that it gets dark freakishly early now. No sunlight == no shoot.

Miscommunicated who was in charge of craft service on an overnight shoot once... That was a long night haha. We did have a pack of water, coffee, Twizzlers and a bag of powdered donuts... For about 24 people :O. Still fun though, and we're really specific now!

Packed camera, lenses, tape measure and tripod (proud of myself for bringing TWO fully charged batteries this time!), hopped in the car and drove thirty minutes to location only to discover that when I replaced the camera battery I failed to reattach the tripod mount to the bottom of the camera.

An hour later I'm back on location!

"%$^$#&*)&%$@#$^&*!!!!!"

I have a bad habit of remembering to bring everything to an audition, except tape for the camera, while I have a good 50 or 60 tapes at home.

So, I have to take a run to a store to buy tapes before I can go to the studio I rent from a theater group.

Built two 8x8 and two 4x8 foot wall sections for the interior set of a burned out house. Set them up on set, dressed the set with misc. scrap boards, ash, burned and melted household items and shot. Left after sunset, apparently not seeing a small bit of smoke from a smoldering box of old clothes. Came back the next day to finish the shoot to find the small smoldering box of clothes had erupted into a roaring fire and completely destroyed the set... We had enough shots to make it work, but it wasn't how I wanted to do it. Not to mention the possibility the field itself could've caught on fire....

Also, from the same shoot; Spent three weeks painstakingly building a a 1/4 scale model of a house to burn, and we didn't even wind up using the footage...

My achilles heel: assuming the camera is recording only to make the heartbreaking discovery when reviewing footage, after production is wrapped, that it wasn't. :(

I've missed out on a lot of cool shots over the years. Trying to change my game. Bad habits are hard to break.

My achilles heel: assuming the camera is recording only to make the heartbreaking discovery when reviewing footage, after production is wrapped, that it wasn't. :(

I've missed out on a lot of cool shots over the years. Trying to change my game. Bad habits are hard to break.

I've done that too. External monitor from now on. :blush:

hahha, ooh boy have I done that before.

I literally reverse-shot the first short I made when I got my HF200. Get the footage on the computer, start reviewing it.
First shot, great.
Second, awesome!
Third, ...wait ...what's this now? It's just a shot of me moving the camera around and talking about the next shot.
Uh oh.
Maybe it was just the one mistake.
Fourth shot, oh shit.
Fifth, I'm screwed.

I like to tell myself I just wasn't familiar enough with the camera. But I still review all takes before breaking down and moving on from any set-ups. I'm never making that mistake again!
user_12370_MXQSDN7X.jpg

just two weeks ago..

Moving a collapsible soft box photo flood light (very hot) while it was on! Caught the edge of the soft box on something, it folded up right on to the light, burst into flames, melted the plastic bulb holder and the flames went out. Took about 2 seconds to go from cool soft box to melted pile of glass, plastic and aluminum. Indoors, nobody hurt and no damage other damage.

just two weeks ago..

Moving a collapsible soft box photo flood light (very hot) while it was on! Caught the edge of the soft box on something, it folded up right on to the light, burst into flames, melted the plastic bulb holder and the flames went out. Took about 2 seconds to go from cool soft box to melted pile of glass, plastic and aluminum. Indoors, nobody hurt and no damage other damage.

Oh man! Irreversable self collapse into destruction of apocalyptic proportions!
Sorry to hear that

Last edited:
During a night shoot on my first short film, I was in a hurry and tugged on the power cable of a lit 650w light to free some slack, only to realize there was no slack. The light stand tipped over and landed on my head. The bulb and the protective glass over the lamp shattered all over me. My head was bleeding due to the corner of the barn door being the part of the light that hit me. Lesson learned.

<--- Idiot!

Ouuuuccchhh.... At least it the hot part didn't make contact?

I've seen a few people hit with a JIB :lol:, no responsibility on my part though.

Back