• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Studio lighting setup

Hi folks!

I'm building my own amateur studio for recording personal projects and monologues.
My budget is around $500 for lighting. What's tbe best way to go?

LED lights seems to be a pretty good investment. I'm currently checking out the Yongnuo YN300, YN300 II and YN300 Air LED lights. For a room of approximately 4x5m (13x16 ft) - do you think any of these lights would do? I' think I want to experiment with the 3 point lighting system. Would 3xYN300 Air or 3xYN300 (II) with diffusers do the trick?

cheers!

LEDs are definitely the future and they last a long time, but if cost is a concern, I've found the 85W daylight balance CFLs are pretty capable, although they are fragile. The large CFLs are softer than LEDs and generally have a higher CRI.

LEDs are virtually indestructible and much more efficient. If you can afford them, they are probably the way to go.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I was thinking about the CFL's as an alternative but I decided to go with Aputure Amaran 528S + 528W kit. They seem like a good investment and won't break the bank.

Back