storyboarding software ?

I am looking for advice on storyboarding software. I want software that will let me hook up my wacam digital tablet to use with the software to sketch in storyboards I draw, hopefully the software would have and manage predefined rectangles to draw in in for 4:3, 16:9, and so on, arrange the storyboards and allow for scene titles/names, comments, etc. I am not so interested in storyboard software that has a bunch of toons and 3D objects, I would rather sketch in my own. Any suggestions of software I might research, download a demo of, that would do what I want?

I think I might have found what I am looking for :yes:
http://www.toonboom.com/products/storyboardpro/features.php
but I am also open to other ideas / comments. I like the features of storyboardpro, looks like it works seamlessly with wacom tablets (I just bought a wacom bamboo fun medium tablet, love it) and scanned sketches (time for me to put my years of figure drawing to good use!). I also notice that Storyboard (not StoryboardPro) works with Linux as well as Windows-- OK I am sold, going to go order Toon Boom Storyboard :yes:

Last edited:
I am glad you asked that! because I just remembered something I had been intending to purchase:

The link you posted, that program was $700. However, it is possible to purchase--and this is how I will be doing this--a comic book program.

There are programs where you take the picture with your digital camera, download the picture into the comic book program and viola! Almost instant comic book set up including panels. I haven't had the opportunity to look for them myself at the store, but I did find one or two online.

These programs might cost you $30 bucks.

.....I gotta go to the store.....

-- spinner :cool:

Google SketchUp
Storyboard Quick or Storyboard Artist
Frame Forge 3D

If you are set on the toon boom route, rather than spending all that loot (and it is a significant amount) you might want to check out Synfig... it's free, and does a lot of the same things toon boom does. Keep in mind, these are meant for making cartoons, not storyboards -- they really are overkill for storyboarding, especially since in most cases you're drawing all the assets by hand, that being the case it's probably just as easy to use pen/pencil and paper.

StoryboardPro (the link) is expensive-- but that or Storyboard can be had much cheaper through e.g.
http://academicsuperstore.com
if you are a student or educator. I was able to pick up Storyboard for $140, and as a tax write off that brings it down to a cost to me of about $99, not too bad. But yeah the full retail price is quite high. StoryboardPro can be had at the educational price of $280, much much better than $700+ full retail.

I am glad you asked that! because I just remembered something I had been intending to purchase:The link you posted, that program was $700. However, it is possible to purchase--and this is how I will be doing this--a comic book program....

Last edited:
Bummer, I ordered Storyboard about a half hour or so ago, before I saw your post. :( I have been feeling the time crunch to buy some filmmaking stuff fast to get in the purchases in time for year end tax write offs. Bought lots the past couple of days, time to stop spending! (just bought the manfretto/bogen tripod and head, mixer box, crane, LCD crane monitor, and now Storyboard.... Ouch! too much spending). Well, as I said in my post, I was glad to buy Storyboard when I saw that it also works with Linux, my operating system of choice.

Google SketchUp
Storyboard Quick or Storyboard Artist
Frame Forge 3D

If you are set on the toon boom route, rather than spending all that loot (and it is a significant amount) you might want to check out Synfig... it's free, and does a lot of the same things toon boom does. Keep in mind, these are meant for making cartoons, not storyboards -- they really are overkill for storyboarding, especially since in most cases you're drawing all the assets by hand, that being the case it's probably just as easy to use pen/pencil and paper.

My post was a little premature. I hadn't looked at your link. ;) Toon Boom Storyboard is indeed for storyboarding, and it looks like it includes some template elements for quick creation. I'd forgotten they had that product, and when I saw the link I just assumed it was Toon Boom Studio or something you were looking at (which, is actually a VERY cool program, if you're doing cartoons)..

If you haven't yet, you should pick yourself up a copy of the DV Rebel's Guide.. Before buying a bunch of other gear and software, it would be a good final purchase for the year.

I like Flash for boards. It's quick and easy to sketch, and if you feel like timing it out as part of the process, you get a full blown animatic, which can be a lot more useful. You can then render out key frames into Photoshop and use the Contact sheet action to create pages of boards in any size and arrangement you want. And then you use the PDF action to mesh those pages into a PDF book of storyboards to send around.

I like Flash for boards. It's quick and easy to sketch, and if you feel like timing it out as part of the process, you get a full blown animatic, which can be a lot more useful. You can then render out key frames into Photoshop and use the Contact sheet action to create pages of boards in any size and arrangement you want. And then you use the PDF action to mesh those pages into a PDF book of storyboards to send around.

....but I can't draw.... :( :P

I have sat a few times with 9-12 year olds who have never done drawing, and taught them in 30 minutes to draw a pretty damn good portrait-- of a fictional person-- honest, there is a lot of it that can be learned, even geniuses like the great art masters learned their trade, and drawing a straight line has nothing to do with it. Give it a chance if you get an interest. Lots of simple math in the head for example, which amazes most people (e.g. eyes are exactly 1/2 way down or up the head. Nose 1/2 way from eyes to chin. Same distance from eye to chin as from eye back to ear. Head almost always looks like an egg, viewed from almost any direction).

E.g.:
http://media.academyart.edu/freeclass/

http://zindy.zone.dk/html/drawings/tutorial_lips.htm
http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/lips/lips.htm

....but I can't draw.... :( :P

I can make pretty good stick figures :D

I kind of like the idea of quickly pulling together a storyboard however. I think the comic book program seems as though it would move things along more quickly. But narratives are further down the road for me right now and you don't really need storyboards for documentary filmmaking... :)

I am sure a big part of getting into the storyboarding for me is to get back into some of my drawing / painting artist roots which have lately taken a back seat to writing and filmmaking (attached is a 15 minute figure drawing I did of an art model [warning:nudity, but just a drawing] and also an oil painting reproduction I did of a famous painting by Jans Vermeer [the painting and its painter were made into a movie with Scarlett Johannsen]!]. I am kind of excited to be able to get back and play with sketching and tone and figures again and have it apply to filmmaking in the form of storyboarding. :D

I...I kind of like the idea of quickly pulling together a storyboard however. I think the comic book program seems as though it would move things along more quickly. But narratives are further down the road for me right now and you don't really need storyboards for documentary filmmaking... :)

Attachments

• mydrawing.jpg
    mydrawing.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 93
  • my-vermeer.jpg
    my-vermeer.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 93
spinner,

when you get to narratives, draw your storyboards with stick figures.

use different shapes for the bodies of the characters, ie: triangle = bob, square = jim, circle = mary and so on. draw pointy noses on the heads to show what way the person is looking, and add arrows either straight or curved to indicate moves if the frame doesn't change.

don't let not being able to "draw" get in the way of making films.

legend has it the scorsese uses stick figures because he can't draw either.

beautifully drawn storyboards will only help you in a meeting with investors, and even then only the thick ones.

Hi,
There is a great open source (free) script software called Celtx. There is a feature to not only add storyboards; but also using the current info you would have in a script such as scene headers, locations, etc. Also, for each storyboard, there is a place to put notes or dialog. You can even animate them together. I have not yet used this feature (ask me in 3 months how it is); all the info was available at their website.

Wow, my first post was something of content and had meaning. That's a first. Kidding.

Hi,
There is a great open source (free) script software called Celtx. There is a feature to not only add storyboards; but also using the current info you would have in a script such as scene headers, locations, etc. Also, for each storyboard, there is a place to put notes or dialog. You can even animate them together. I have not yet used this feature (ask me in 3 months how it is); all the info was available at their website.

Wow, my first post was something of content and had meaning. That's a first. Kidding.

Beat me to it, lol! Celtx is great, I haven't used the storyboarding functions yet, but the screenplay functions are great, so easy to use!

Yeah, I wrote about 100 pages in a demo of Final Draft. Was on the fence on buying it (sweet program) BUT I found Celtx. Its is sweet. There are many functions I have not had the opertunity to try out yet, but I will.

PS - Johnny, how's upstate New York. I just moved to Florida from Binghamton 6 months ago for college.

Last edited:
Back