• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Story vs plot in logline

Can someone clarify - your logline should contain basic elements of your 'story,' but not (necessarily) any specific plot points. Is this correct? So, for example, this logline below tells the story, but the 'journey' or 'plot' (how Martin goes about finding a girlfriend) is not addressed:

Martin is a comedy about a lonely, antisocial kid who must find a girlfriend or be forced by his overbearing mother to go on a date with her boyfriend’s gay cousin.

Thoughts?

The process that I use, was given to me by filmy and is this --

Start by writing a phrase for each of the four acts. In the final act explain what it is that the protagonist has learned in the process.

Like all writing processes you start long and cut back -- so for example you start with:

When terminally shy Martin won't get a girlfriend, his overbearing Mother make assumptions about his inclinations and sets him up with his Stepfather's gay cousin (act one)
Desperate to prove his heterosexuality, he pays his best friend's fiancee to pretend to be his girlfriend (act two)
but when he falls in love with her for real (act three)
he is forced to choose between true love and friendship (act four)

The trick is then to cut that back to a single sentence --

"I think Martin's Gay, let's set him up with your cousin." Faced with his Mother's determination to "set him up" Martin pays his best friend's fiancee to pretend to be the love of his life, but when he falls for her for real he is forced to choose between love and friendship.

That's just a rough, first attempt, but it shows the process -- hope this helps.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to start a 'how-to' discussion, but I suppose it sounded like I was. I was hoping to get clarification about the differences regarding 'story' and 'plot' which sometimes get a little hazy in my mind. Especially now since I'm trying to write the dreaded logline, not for my script, but for another writer's script. I'm working with him, helping to develop his short script. I read in another thread (probably written by you, Clive, or maybe filmy) that it's helpful to have a solid logline written when working on the script, as it acts as a sort of reference tool or compass, to help keep your story (plot???) focused and heading in a meaningful direction. At least, I hope I understood the logline suggestion correctly.

Compass logline...

Media Hero said:
I didn't mean to start a 'how-to' discussion, but I suppose it sounded like I was. I was hoping to get clarification about the differences regarding 'story' and 'plot' which sometimes get a little hazy in my mind. Especially now since I'm trying to write the dreaded logline, not for my script, but for another writer's script. I'm working with him, helping to develop his short script. I read in another thread (probably written by you, Clive, or maybe filmy) that it's helpful to have a solid logline written when working on the script, as it acts as a sort of reference tool or compass, to help keep your story (plot???) focused and heading in a meaningful direction. At least, I hope I understood the logline suggestion correctly.
It was probably me because that's exactly what I call it... A compass logline...

*NOTE: A compass logline isn't necessarily the SAME logline you might use later on to promote the film... A compass logline is simply that... The story of the film broken down into a simple paragraph that takes the Protagonist through the 4 acts...

It's definitely okay NOT to be too plot-specific here...

The way clive described it above is correct...

filmy

I was hoping to get clarification about the differences regarding 'story' and 'plot' which sometimes get a little hazy in my mind

On the plot vs story distinction I use the following --

Plot is what happens.

Story is the protagonist's journey.

The only reason I make this distinction is because it's useful to separate out the two things and see them as different things. Where so many scripts fail is in the fact that there is a lack of distinction between plot and story.

I think this is also where people often go wrong when pitching ideas -- someone says "Tell me the story" and they reply by reeling off the plot points from the beat sheet "Well, this happens, and then this happens and then this happens and then this happens... etc" When in fact the information they needed to get across was something like:

"After battling with his alcoholism for thirty years, football coach Brad finally regains his self respect by coaching a little league team of downs syndrome kids to cup victory"

That's the story, the protagonist's journey, as opposed to the plot.

Most good loglines are story based rather than plot based, and where many scripts fail is that although they have plot, they often fail to have a story -- it is this lack of protagonist's journey that leaves many films without anything for the audience to connect to.

In other words the film becomes a series of events with no emotional impact.

The advantage of a compass logline is it makes you nail the protagonist's central question before you start writing and therefore you don't end up with an unpitchable completed film.

This was the main mistake I made with No Place -- insufficient pre-production work on nailing the story -- sure I made a few plotting errors, but the killer mistake was the lack of story.

In the writing process story comes before plot and evolves out of character development.

So if you see the entire process laid out it becomes:

1) Idea - concept (which can be either a character, story or plot point that attracts you)
This often expressed as a "what if" -- kind of like "what if a vampire fell in love with an angel"
2) Then this moves to detailed character development (so you ask yourelf what is this vampire's story, who else is involved, what is their story)
This stage is about locking down the four cardinal characters (protagonist, antagonist, stakes character, ally) and exploring what it is in their personal histories that motivates them to act in certain ways.
3) At this point the story gets locked and you write your "compass logline"
The four phrases then become the foundation for your plot.
4) The story gets plotted using whatever structure you understand best (Four acts - forty five sequences)
5) Finally with all the prep done you sit down and write. (Should come out at 100-115 pages effortlessly)
6) Having completed draft one the script goes out to your readers -- you get notes back
7) Rewrite drafts until everyone looses the will to live! (Draft eight is the earliest you can reasonably quit without the shame of being a lightweight!)

Last edited:
I think having a definite work process is so helpful. Sometimes I follow one, sometimes I don't. Needless to say, I have better results when I do. Thanks for sharing your outline, Clive. And I'm dying to see the "Vampire/Angel" movie - intriguing ;)

Back