• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Story "cards" ?

Hey!
Trying a new technique I've heard is quite successful: Story cards (f.ex. scene title, character changes etc).
However, after making my own, buying post-its and what-not, it's really just a mess- and takes more time preparing, than actually doing.

So, have any of you used this method? What did you use?
Would love to buy some sorts of "whiteboard" cards- if there's anything like that.

Looking forward to hear from you,
Jarand

Hey!
Trying a new technique I've heard is quite successful: Story cards (f.ex. scene title, character changes etc).
However, after making my own, buying post-its and what-not, it's really just a mess- and takes more time preparing, than actually doing.

So, have any of you used this method? What did you use?
Would love to buy some sorts of "whiteboard" cards- if there's anything like that.

Looking forward to hear from you,
Jarand

I am a big fan of this method for post production on documentaries, but not necessarily film. Since documentary film can be told in so many different ways, it really helps to visualize the story as a whole, remove what's not needed and put in an order that propels the story. Especially when you have multiple characters and storylines.

It's a big mess, but if you get a cork board and some tacks, it is a little cleaner. Also, I like to color code based on storylines.

Usually, I just start by graphing out the typical story arch and then finding as many ways as possible to properly deviate away from it. From there, I'll make character bios for all the main characters and side characters just so I can have a clear understanding of who they are. Finally, I write a comprehensive treatment that not only details what happens, but also what the overall scene tells us about the story. This way, it keeps me focused on the center piece of the story and why that scene should even exist.

I sit on it for a while. Radically change it, then work on the screenplay itself. But, to each is own.

Working on audio post I need to use story cards and other devices, at least on features and other longer projects. After the walk-through/talk-through with the director (and sometimes the producer) I create a very simple graph with time designations showing the peaks and valleys of the script/story. I create a card for each important character (usually tacked up on my board with a picture). It's usually a simple list of personality traits - a quick summary/character study, if you will (he's a bully, she's an introvert, etc.). I will also create a card for the important locations, and sometimes for important props (i.e. the character is very attached to his motorcycle). I also have cards showing the important points we discussed during the walk-through/talk-through - moods, sonic "colors," etc. All these things assist me with creating sounds pertinent to the characters and story locations.

All you directors have to remember that you tend to call us (audio post people) in at the very end of your project; we haven't been living with the project for months/years the way you have. In my binder I have every last bit of information you were willing to share with me, but have to condense it all down on my board for simplicities sake; I don't have the time to live with it, I have to dive in head first and need these quick reference points.

Sometimes I'll use index cards. I write a brief description of each scene on the front of the card and a list of the characters and props that will be in the scene on the back. I find this useful in the outline stage of writing. I have plastic boxes to keep the cards in while not in use.

I use colored markers to indicate the emotion level of the scene. I make a stripe at the top and one at the bottom. The top stripe indicates the mood at the beginning of the scene and the one at the bottom is the emotion at the end. This method gives me a quick visual method for mixing and matching the emotional arcs of the story. The emotions that I am referring to are not the emotions of the characters in the scene, but rather the emotions that I want the audience to be feeling as they watch that scene. If there is a large emotional shift during a scene, I make a side line at the plot point in the scene where I want the shift to occur.

Sometimes, I see a movie as a complete vision in my head before I ever begin writing. On those rare occasions, I just start writing and don't card or outline. As I've mentioned elsewhere, my usual method is to have an idea for a flick and start with the basic premise, the beginning, a couple of key plot points, and the end. This is where the cards come in most useful.

I typically write using Celtx. Celtx does have an index card function, but I haven't used it yet because I use both sides of the card for different things and have my own color coding system that is a bit more discreet than the typical. If you just want to have sticky notes attached to specific parts of your screenplay, Celtx lets you do that as well.

[legalese] Keep in mind that this is just how I do things and your mileage may vary. Even though I am a professional writer, I have not yet sold a single screenplay. My advice is for entertainment purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any illness or disease. Always consult your doctor and or entertainment lawyer before applying/attempting any of the activities described herein. [/legalese]

I'm a huge fan of the card method. In my experience it's one of the best methods for creating a reasonable "roadmap" which your story can follow. You'd be surprised how easy it is to sit down to write a story that you haven't properly blocked out to realize that certain areas are either ludicrously bloated, or nearly non-existent.

I like Scrivener

I remember using cards a long time ago - I think it was after reading "Save the Cat" and trying to force every project into 42 scenes. I don't use this approach anymore, because I think it creates a few bad habits but it's worth experimenting with. It does encourage discipline and attention to structuring and - if it works for you - then it's a winner.

I use Scrivener a lot for many different types of manuscript creation. It has a number of different views that allow you to view your project as an outline - or as a series of cards - and drag and drop things on the screen. Because it can accommodate lots of off-cuts, photos, research, etc - I find it to be a very versatile application. Perhaps you can see if it works for you?

Back