• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

stories about weight loss (fat->normal)?

I came up with an idea for a feature film, romantic comedy, about the hero going from fat to normal. Other than "Norbit" or perhaps "Shallow Hal", can anybody think of similar film stories, so I can research how much my idea has been done before, how to make my story different?

Fat to fit, specifically. Sounds boring at first, but I have some twist ideas on it that would make it a great romcom/drama with action and adventure, romance, all that stuff. I just want to see that my specific twist on it has not been done and I do not think so from what I am seeing here, on Blockbuster, etc.

Are you looking specifically for "fat to fit" or would the "nerdy girl/guy to makeover" be of any help?
-- spinner :cool:

well I don't know. Being fat myself, I don't think of it as all that funny. I mean, I would love to lose weight (I'm trying to) and I'm sure that would/will make my life much better, but I don't think it would exactly be the stuff of a romantic comedy. But I suppose it's possible. Well if you need any advice from a person in those shoes, just ask....oh I see you included drama in your description, I can definitely see it as kind of a combination.

Let us not forget the "nutty professor". I think these themes work well if they end up focussing on self-acceptance rather than striving for perfection (which often fails). Perhaps if the main character was led to believe that he/she could end up going out with his/her dream person if they lost weight, then as they fail, they find the "right" person while going through their troubles and find peace with their personal reality through that person's guidance...then they fall in love and ride off in the sunset :)

Anything is funny, what matters is how you make it funny. Fat jokes aren't funny to overweight people, but jokes played on people reacting to the weight would be cathartically hilarious to the undertall in the audience (not to mention that you can make it slapstick which is universally funny). For instance, the snooty girl laughing at the fat kid becomes hilarious as she starts choking on her gum which she's previously been shown smacking and pulling (ick). Then the overweight character who's jogging or something can smirk as the camera follows them away with the snooty girl getting the heimlich in the background of the shot.

My goal for any such story would not be to make fun of fat people, although such scenes would likely occur such a screenplay. But the end goal would include showing that even fat people are people, and as Knightly said bring out themes of self-acceptance, etc. No disrespect intended to fat people, anymore than making a film about a burn victim regaining normal skin would be meant to poke fun at scar or burn victims. Burned and scarred skin is not a state of health anymore than being fat is, although people afflicted with scars or obesity can be great people and have great worth, and stories can be told about either to teach important themes imho.

well I don't know. Being fat myself, I don't think of it as all that funny. I mean, I would love to lose weight (I'm trying to) and I'm sure that would/will make my life much better, but I don't think it would exactly be the stuff of a romantic comedy. But I suppose it's possible. Well if you need any advice from a person in those shoes, just ask....oh I see you included drama in your description, I can definitely see it as kind of a combination.

Let us not forget the "nutty professor". I think these themes work well if they end up focussing on self-acceptance rather than striving for perfection (which often fails). Perhaps if the main character was led to believe that he/she could end up going out with his/her dream person if they lost weight, then as they fail, they find the "right" person while going through their troubles and find peace with their personal reality through that person's guidance...then they fall in love and ride off in the sunset :)

Anything is funny, what matters is how you make it funny. Fat jokes aren't funny to overweight people, but jokes played on people reacting to the weight would be cathartically hilarious to the undertall in the audience (not to mention that you can make it slapstick which is universally funny). For instance, the snooty girl laughing at the fat kid becomes hilarious as she starts choking on her gum which she's previously been shown smacking and pulling (ick). Then the overweight character who's jogging or something can smirk as the camera follows them away with the snooty girl getting the heimlich in the background of the shot.

Hercules! Hercules!

Back