Stereo XLR cable for Mono shotgun mic

Not really, is not about the plugs fitting, its about the signal levels and the impedance, in other words, its all about the math.

You need something like a juicedlink or beachtek (or similar device) to connect an XLR mic to a 3.5mm camera mic input.

It all sorta comes down to which camera, which mic your trying to pair up!

To expand on wheatgrinders comments...

You have to match the impedance output of the mic to the impedance input of your recording device. The adapter to which you linked will take a mono signal a send it to both audio channels, but will not convert low impedance to high impedance; if you are using a low impedance mic and the input is high impedance (as it probably is) you will get a very faint audio signal.

Some details about which mic you are using and what you are plugging it into will allow us to give you more focused answers.

Its an HTDZ HT-320A mic and the camcorder is a DCR-TRV25 sony. The mic came with a xlr cable that is like 26' or something, that goes to a mono 1/4" plug, plus a adapter for that to 1/8" mono. I tested that one on the camcorder and seems to work fine. Just looking for something short for when its mounted on the camcorder so I don't have a huge wad of cable that I have to strap to it.

The HTDZ HT-320A is rated at 1kΩ (1,000 ohms) which makes it a high impedance mic, so you will not require an impedance matcher as the camera mic input is also high impedance.

You can use the adapter linked below with an XLR cable; that would eliminate the clunky adapter at the camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...nology_XVM_102M_XVM_102M_Angled_3_5mm_to.html

Just be aware that with high impedance the longer the cable the more prone you are to RF interference and other audio problems.

Back