Steadicam Scout vs Merlin

I have an old Merlin and am fairly proficient but a potential client is talking to me about a couple of hundred quid to come on their set and use the Scout with a BlackMagic Cinema Camera.

The potential client is telling me the transition will be really simple. However, this potential client traditionally is full of BS and has told me lots of things in the past so just wanted to check with anyone on here who'd used this combo.

As an idea of size / strength, I am extremely strong. Back in the day I played rugby in France at the same team as Jonah Lomu and represented a team playing at national level in France's second largest city. If I can deal with a 300 lb man trying to rip my head off, I can deal with a bit of camera equipment from a physical perspective.

What I don't know is if my Merlin handling skills will translate to a Scout. Naturally, I understand that I need to play with the DoF etc... because there will be no focus assistance but what I need to know is whether my skills will immediately transfer.

Last edited:
Did you use your Merlin with or without the vest and arm?

If yes, then it would assumedly be a relatively similar process. You want to make sure you know your fundamentals about balancing etc. etc. (i.e. drop time etc. keeping in mind you now have counterbalance on the bottom from the battery and monitor)

Scout is very much a step up. You're operating from a monitor below, rather than the camera's monitor, which could be very different to what you're used to.

Weight shouldn't be too much of an issue with a Blackmagic, assuming they don't want the whole day shot on the Steadi. The strength required is different, and uses different muscles to what you generally use in most other things. It's less sudden pain, and more of a heaviness that you have to endure for as long as you've got the vest/camera on. It shoudln't be too bad with a Blackmagic, but it will certainly feel al ot worse if you've operated the whole day on it and i'ts the 12th hour versus the first time you put it on at the start of the day.

Overall, it should be a bit of fun - see if you can get a prep day to get a feel for it.

Did you use your Merlin with or without the vest and arm?

If yes, then it would assumedly be a relatively similar process. You want to make sure you know your fundamentals about balancing etc. etc. (i.e. drop time etc. keeping in mind you now have counterbalance on the bottom from the battery and monitor)

Scout is very much a step up. You're operating from a monitor below, rather than the camera's monitor, which could be very different to what you're used to.

Weight shouldn't be too much of an issue with a Blackmagic, assuming they don't want the whole day shot on the Steadi. The strength required is different, and uses different muscles to what you generally use in most other things. It's less sudden pain, and more of a heaviness that you have to endure for as long as you've got the vest/camera on. It shoudln't be too bad with a Blackmagic, but it will certainly feel al ot worse if you've operated the whole day on it and i'ts the 12th hour versus the first time you put it on at the start of the day.

Overall, it should be a bit of fun - see if you can get a prep day to get a feel for it.

In terms of this, I take it you have used the scout have you? At this stage, I have never touched it but am trying to get my hands on one.

And don't worry about muscles. In training, we used to put 250lb - 300lb men over our shoulders and run up hills so camera kit is fine!

Back