SQN Mixers - any opinions?

I am in the market for a field mixer and have come across the name 'SQN.' I have noticed a couple of older SQNs kicking around (10, 15 years old?) and I was looking for opinions.

Firstly, what is your opinion on SQN? Seconly, what is your opinion of older, mono SQN lower-end mono mixers?

Personally I am more inclined to go with a less ancient mixer.

Don't know much about SQN; it's a fairly good UK/European brand that doesn't make it to the States. From the little that I do know I would assume that used ones would be beat to death. Then again, in the current economy, lots of small production and rental houses are closing down, so you just may get yourself something nice at a bargain price. It all comes down to the condition of the unit.

Maybe send a PM to APE?

I can give you a bit of general background but my knowledge of production sound gear is limited. I've seen production sound guys working a number of times over the years and of course I have to deal with the output from production sound mixers almost daily but never done production sound myself, or rather I did once, about 12 years ago!

SQN, I've seen and heard of them. At one time, they were the bee's knees, the best field mixers money could buy! They were built like tanks, to operate even in extreme filming environments and were the field mixer of choice for the high end pro's. On a professional shoot you just expected to see a Nagra recorder with an SQN mixer. These days the Sound Devices (SD) are the market leaders and field mixer of choice for the discerning pro. However, field mixers are essentially analogue devices and the basic technology of analogue devices hasn't changed greatly over the last 20 odd years. You'd probably get more functionality with an SD mixer but sound quality wise SD is probably only marginally better than an older SQN. I can't remember the exact SQN models though and I'm sure some were better than others.

Baring in mind that they were built like tanks, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the age. It would probably be well worth sending it to the manufacturer for a service though. With the caveat of me not knowing much about the specific models, I would say that if you can pick one up for a good price you might find yourself with a real top quality mixer for much less than an SD mixer, even with the cost of a service. Please do some research on the model before you take my advice though, just in case!

G

Last edited:
Thanks! This is, as always, incredibly useful. I will do more research into the make / model. Am doing more research and getting my hands on this little mixer. It does look a bit beaten up but seems to function pretty well.

It does look a bit beaten up but seems to function pretty well.

Being an analogue device it would most certainly benefit from a service, unless of course it's already been serviced recently. These sorts of devices need a service about every 5 years or so, the one you've got your hands on may never have been serviced, in which case for a small cost you could see a large improvement. If I were in your shoes, I'd give the manufacturer a call, ask if they know of any issues with the model you are looking at, ask how much a service would cost and maybe ask if they have any information on your particular unit. SQN were once the Rolls Royce of field recorders so they may have service records or other info on file for your serial number.

G

Being an analogue device it would most certainly benefit from a service, unless of course it's already been serviced recently. These sorts of devices need a service about every 5 years or so, the one you've got your hands on may never have been serviced, in which case for a small cost you could see a large improvement. If I were in your shoes, I'd give the manufacturer a call, ask if they know of any issues with the model you are looking at, ask how much a service would cost and maybe ask if they have any information on your particular unit. SQN were once the Rolls Royce of field recorders so they may have service records or other info on file for your serial number.

G

Thanks, I will have a look. Otherwise, I will look at something along the lines of the ubiquitous Promix 3. I do not know why it is recommended so often but will have a look at it.

I use an SQN 4s mini, which i would imagine is 10 years old at least, and been used by tons of people and it still sounds fantastic, they are absolutely bomb proof. They are however ridiculously over complicated in comparison to the sound devices mixers. I think the best thing about them is that you can find good deals on them online, and they will carry on working forever although as audio post expert said an older one would probably benefit from a service. along similar lines however sound devices have just brought out the new 664 mixer, and because of that i've spotted some really good deals on older sound devices gear (but still newer than the SQN)

A small interesting factoid - SQN is the abbreviated latin or italian or something for "nothing better" but.. however good they were back in the day, sound devices absolutely dick on them nowadays, 'scuse my language!

Back