• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sounds from BlackOps 2

Hi, while performing searches for the sounds used in movie and game trailers, I stumbled across this site and decided to register ;)

I am curious from the experts on this site, if anyone knows the sound libraries used in the Black Ops 2 Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-9BOSS0PSoA

I hear the guitars and power toms, etc... Since I hear the same sounds in just about every action movie or video game trailer I'm guessing there may be "goto" sound libraries for these types of sounds?

Thank you very much for any help!

Looking forward to learning a lot from everyone on here!
-Sam

geekbeats.com

Computer based composers use everything in their arsenal which can be very substantial considering the gigabytes of symphonic and other samples available from East West, Vienna Symphonic, Garritan and others - and that doesn't include the hundreds of softsynths that are available plus sometimes even using live musicians. These same libraries and softsynths are also used to create the game music/score, although it is structured in an evolving loop format. The really "big" games often use real orchestras for large parts of the score.

As far as the sound effects are concerned the same applies; there are gigabytes of samples available, and many games have custom made sounds as well as library sound effects. The original Call of Duty had Chuck Russom as the sound supervisor and renowned film composer Michael Giacchino did the score. The following CoD games use a lot of the original sound FX library plus adding a lot of new stuff. (BTW, Chuck has a number of sound libraries available on hi web site, but not the CoD sound FX). Sound designer Charles Maynes is well known for weapons recording for both films and video games (Killzone 3, Resident Evil 5, Call of Duty 2: Big Red One).

While Alcove's answer is entirely correct and accurate, I think you may be missing the point because those SFX don't really exist. Let me use an analogy to explain: You go to an art gallery, see a Monet painting and love the colours. Would you ask where Monet bought his paints? While the paint is the raw material and therefore important, the vast majority, if not all the colours in the painting probably don't exist as a product you can buy. It's the way the different coloured paints have been mixed together and applied by the artist which gives the final appearance of the colours. The exact same is true in the clip you linked to... It's instantly obvious that the clip has been professionally mixed to a high standard. The SFX are just the raw materials, the building blocks, how they have been mixed, layered and processed defines what they sound like in the finished product. This fact is true for both the music and the sound. For example, I've heard mixes done with the Vienna Symphonic library which were quite difficult to tell apart from a real orchestra. I've also heard mixes done with exactly the same library which sounded cheap, amateurish and completely unrealistic.

Ultimately, it's therefore impossible to say which library has been used for the SFX because what you are hearing are not the raw SFX and probably a very long way away from raw SFX. Additionally, it's common in high budget productions for the SFX to all be custom made, so it's possible that no SFX library was used in the first place.

G

Back