• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

sound recording

Hello, there is a place in my town which rents out equiptment. I am wondering what I will all need to record clean sound to make sure they have it to rent. I will probably be shooting on a 3ccd mini dv camera. What is the usual technique for getting crisp dialogue on a long shot?

Thanks.

What type of project will this be? What sort of crew will you have available? What will the shooting conditions be like (ie are you shooting right next to a busy street etc)? What's your budget?

I'm not sure what mics are commonly rented and for what price but the AT4073A is a nice little shotgun mic. Of course, you go go really high end if you have the cash!

Depending on your setup and needs a mixer with a sound person could be best. You will need a camera which can accept XLR mics of course.

In general though you want to get the best mic and cable you can and then get the mic as close to the talent as possible.

You're better hiring a location sound mixer w/equipment and boom operator. Or, hire the mixer, and he/she will tell you exactly what you need.

the crew will be 10 people at the most, there are sound recording packages through this rental place but it does not say exactly what it includes. I just want to make sure that it will include everything that I need. Most of the film is in a vast field(hopefully not near a main road) inside an abandoned barn, and inside a house. There are a couple very short scenes on a residential street and a couple other places, but they are very minor.

If you are looking to get clean dialogue on a long shot you'll need to use radio mics. For that kind of recording they are the only game in town. Indie is right a good sound recordist will know that and come prepared with the right kit for the job.

Back