• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound isolation technique

I use Noise reduction plugins in protools. Sonic Foundry and Waves make nice ones. I also occasionally use DigiDesigns BNR noise reduction plugin. Also an EQ can make a huge difference. A lot of times just knocking out the low end with a high pass filter can make dialog intelligible. Also computers, refrigerators, etc. can often be EQ'd out. For stuff running on 60 cycle power try knocking out everything at 60hz, 120 hz, 240hz and 480hz, etc. Waves makes a plugin called x-Hum that does exactly this for 60 cycle power (sometuimes referred to as NTSC) and 50 cycle power(sometimes called PAL).

However the most effective way to isolate voices on a noisy soundtrack is to simply rerecord the dialog (ADR.) However depending on your actors, etc. that may not be that simple.

Good luck.

I can't give you software or hardware answer because I don't know of a specific product.

However, you might be able to achieve some improvement by using the graphic equaliser on your editing software. A lot of this will depend on the frequencies that the background noise is on and how close those frequencies are to the limited range of the human voice.

If you've got access to sound recording software like Abelton live you've got a really good graphic equaliser which will take should clean it up some.

Bottom line is that the chances of getting usable dialogue if you've got that level of noise are negliable, and if it was me I'd be seriously thinking about ditching the bad sound and redubbing in an ADR suite.

I know I've said this before in other threads, but fixing bad sound in post is much less achievable in post than picture problems. I know I said that in your position I'd be redubbing, but actually it isn't true. In your situation I'd reshoot and take better control of the environment I was recording in.

I've been usuing Sountrack Pro's Noise Reduction and have had pretty good results thus far. Couple that with some good EQ'ing and I have been able to take some pretty noisy backgrounds out without comprimising the quality of the dialong.

That said, I have also ADR'd about 8 or 9 entire scenes becasue I was not pleased with the results of the EQ and Noise Reduction. Like Clive said, in post, picture problems are sometimes easier to work around than audio problems.

I've notice that the majority of indies don't think twice about audio and it shows in the final product. IMO, it can make or break the entire project and it deserves to be treated with the same care as the edit.

Good Luck.

Back