• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

sound in post

Thanks for the heads up on the affects. I am uing sony vegas pro 12 to edit on.
and used a Marantz pmd 661 for my audio If that matters at all

a couple questions here.

1. I hear no noise when I am editing why is that?

2. the audio doesn't sound distorted yet some times on the audio meter on the way right
it will go over

3. the recoding device I used was able to record in Dual mode giving me a 2nd track that records -20db lower in case of distortion I can't for the life of me. figure out how to get that damn second track. I can see it but cant split it.

3. if the audio sounds good should I still run it through audacity to look for any audio
mistakes?

it sounds fine to me but will it sound differnet once its on a dvd? that meter I giving me shit sometimes but I don't hear a problem.

Thanks for the heads up on the effects
fixed that for you...

Do you have audio disabled in your NLE? Or maybe your speakers are turned down?

If I'm understanding correctly, you recorded audio separate from image.. have you synced the two files (audio and video) and have them both on your timeline?

2. the audio doesn't sound distorted yet some times on the audio meter on the way right it will go over
Go over? As in it's peaking? Could be your speakers aren't sensitive enough to respond to the peaking levels, or the peaks could be too short that you're not noticing. Kind of confused though since you mentioned in your first point that you don't hear sound while editing.

3. the recoding device I used was able to record in Dual mode giving me a 2nd track that records -20db lower in case of distortion I can't for the life of me. figure out how to get that damn second track. I can see it but cant split it.
Presumably it recorded one track (left or right) at the full volume, and the other (left or right) at the lower volume. Since you mentioned in your second point the level on the right is peaking, I suspect the full volume recording is on the right track, and lower level on the left. To get to it, you'd need to either render the audio out into to separate mono sound files, one being the left, one being the right.. or better yet, duplicate your audio onto another track in Vegas, then apply the stereo to mono filter to each copy.. I believe (it's been a while, so may be wrong) that you can tell it which track (left or right) to use for the source.

3. if the audio sounds good should I still run it through audacity to look for any audio
mistakes?
If you care about the overall quality.. probably.

it sounds fine to me but will it sound differnet once its on a dvd? that meter I giving me shit sometimes but I don't hear a problem.
It should be the same on DVD.. but again it could be that your speakers on the computer you're editing on aren't the greatest, so there may be pops, noises, etc that you're not hearing but may hear in different audio environments.

Will covered most of it, but let's step backwards...

Which audio interface are you using?
Which speakers are you using?
How is your room treated?

You don't hear noise from the recorded tracks? Could be a monitoring issue, or you had a fantastic PSM/Boom-op.

2. the audio doesn't sound distorted yet some times on the audio meter on the way right
it will go over.

There's always a little headroom when the meters occasionally touch into red. Understand that meters respond to all frequencies, and you may not be hearing the frequencies, most probably lows, that are pushing the meter into the red.

3. the recording device I used was able to record in Dual mode giving me a 2nd track that records -20db lower in case of distortion I can't for the life of me. figure out how to get that damn second track. I can see it but cant split it.

It's been years since I've used Vegas, but in Pro Tools you can drag a stereo track onto two mono tracks, and there is also a function called "Split Mono" which will create two mono tracks out of a stereo track.

mistakes?

Sounds good compared to what? Sounds good on your laptop speakers or on a $10,000 Genelec 5.1 system?

Again, sounds good on what?

There's a huge difference between editing/mixing your audio on this:

ASUS-UL50VT-A1.jpg

And editing/mixing your audio here:

Todd-AO%20Hollywood%20Stage%201%20L.jpg

I was close in my thought on how to split your tracks.. here's how exactly:

In Vegas, Right click on the audio track header > Duplicate Track.

On the audio event/s in one track Right-click > Channels > Left only, on the other Right only.

Thanks guys.
speakers are bose speakers just theouse ones you pick up from best buy.
and doubt my boom op was that great because it was me, then again I got all my audio boom advice from
this fourm HA!

moving on.
as for room. tone. Didn't know about it till, Oh well lets say 80% of the film was shot.
however some scenes are in the woods so I think I can get away with birds chirping and shit like that. but as for inside room tone. who knows what I am gonna do. could use room tone from my house but it wont be the same but it's something.

I could also be trippin over nothing I know for a fact that every time something hit 0 I stopped right away. but it's weird there is no noise. i'll get back to you guys on the mystery.

i'll send you a free copy when this thing is done also. hahaha

however some scenes are in the woods so I think I can get away with birds chirping and shit like that. but as for inside room tone. who knows what I am gonna do. could use room tone from my house but it wont be the same but it's something.

The big problem with room tone is that it changes; room temperature, humidity, the position of everything and everyone in the room and of course the position of the mic itself all have an effect on the room tone. So the problem occurs during editing, you cut to another take, another angle and you get a detectable difference in the room tone which instantly says to the audience, "HELLO ... yes, you did hear right, that was exactly the frame where the cut happened and now you're aware of it you can listen out for the next cut!". And of course, cutting in ADR is even more obvious. A big difficulty you have is deciding/judging what is "detectable"! What might be completely undetectable on your Bose speakers might be detectable on other average home speakers and in a cinema (say at a film festival) it's likely to sound painfully obvious on a $100k+ cinema sound system.

Even outdoors there is still room tone, there is always room tone, even if you're not actually recording in a room!

Dumping in some ambient SFX over the cut will help soften the edges a bit but your best bet will be to try and make some room tone by stitching together little bits and pieces you can often find; between words/lines, before and after the director shouts "action" or "cut", etc. Time consuming and tricky to avoid it sounding too looped/mechanical but it is always the best/first option when unsuitable or no room tone has been recorded.

but it's weird there is no noise. i'll get back to you guys on the mystery.

Or post a short clip of your production sound where we can have a listen.

G

Back