• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound fx

Hey guys sorry to bother you people with more questions but:

Can someone recommend a good royalty free site (where you can purchase use) of good sound fx such as gunfire etc.

Also any avid users or sound people know how I can add positional sound fx? Any help would be greatfully accepted!

Thanks

Last edited:
Positional sound fx is achieved by panning the indivdual sound fx. I don't sound mix on avid so I'm not sure where you'll find it, but it will be there somewhere.

There is a different pan dial for each of the stereo channels, so you get relative position by manipulating two dials and not one. In theory this should allow you to match sound to picture, but where it gets complicated is when the relationship between the initial sound and the recording mic wasn't constant.

The other thing to remember is that if there is movement either towards or away from camera, you'll have to fade the volume up or down to match movement away or from the microphone.

Getting this right is a real art and though I've spent most of my professional career in recording studios I still always pay a good sound mixer to do the foley work.

Back