• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound for Wide Angle Shots

Hi,

I'm in the pre-production process of creating a short film, and I'm particularly having trouble planning the sound workflow of the production.

I plan on having a great amount of wide angle shots that present a lot of the set, as well as actors in the screen. Being wide shots, I'm limited as to how close I can get with the boom pole (to obtain close, high-quality sound). I'm wondering how I can obtain these high-quality sounds while still maintaining generally wide shots. Do professionals still use boom poles? Am I supposed to use a lavalier microphone? Do I place a Zoom recorder in the actor's lap while they speak? What is the best solution for this type of issue? Thanks in advance.

(An example of what I am talking about is something like this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0kuEG7NR8)

In the clip you referenced they probably used a VERY long boom-pole just out of the shot; notice there is not a lot of space between the top of the frame and her head. Also note that, except for her "Ah!" when the RC car hits her feet (which sounds a bit distant), all of her dialog is in the living room so is not really that far away. They may also have had a second boomed mic on him.

It is also possible that they did a dialog edit, using the dialog from another take, or they may have even done a little ADR.

How did I forget?! :bang:

Off to the corner with you!
dunce.gif

Back