• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

sound equipment in rain

I'm in the middle of shooting a feature and it's drizzling a little bit outside where we'll be needing to shoot later tonight. It's not enough rain to make us reschedule, but what precautions should I take to protect my sound equipment?

I have some wireless lavs and a couple of shotguns for the boom. What are my options here?

I'm reading that non lubricated condoms over shotguns with a blimp and furry should do the trick.

Not sure how to handle lavs... Maybe a ziplock bag over the transmitters

Never heard that condom one haha.. Interesting.

I haven't shot in the rain for a long time, but the few times I did, I just went on the cheap and cut up a couple big trash bags to form fit around my equipment with rubber bands and whatnot. Cheap, but it did the trick

I'm reading that non lubricated condoms over shotguns with a blimp and furry should do the trick.

The audio assistant ("cable wrangler") or an intern is usually the one who is tapped to go to a very large pharmacy to purchase a case of non-lubricated condoms when the sound kit needs a resupply. Needless to say, uptight types are horrified, most younger folks are very impressed.

BTW, we used the condom solution when we shot a food fight a several years ago; it works quite well.

Not sure how to handle lavs... Maybe a ziplock bag over the transmitters

Really good lavs (Sanken, CountryMan, Tram and the upper end AT, Sennheiser, etc.) are usually fairly waterproof to begin with - they need to resist sweat and high humidity.

You'll have to cut and tape plastic baggies for the transmitters; they need to be VERY tight so they don't make noise or move around inside the baggie, and so you can use the controls. Put fresh batteries in immediately before you seal them up.

BTW, Lectrosonics don't need to be baggied; they are fairly water resistant on their own. There's a new transmitter from Lectrosonics is about the size of a fat matchbook and completely water tight. Needless to say, it's quite expensive.

Depending on the transmitter, the condoms can work there as well. I used them when I was doing live theater to protect the transmitters from the actors' sweat. Of course, you may need to purchase extra large (magnum) to fit the belt pack, but it will work.

Back