Sound Epuip advice

Hi guys. Don't know a thing about sound and would like some advice on what to purchase. Used for recording nature, wildlife, interviews ect ect. Hoping for quality sound kit for around $5-10k if possible. I will be filming on Red.
Any recommendations of place to purchase, I'm in Sydney or online.

Thanks
Owen

I understand what all you guys are saying and couldn't agree more. The mOney however is not an issue. I'm on the road for three years in a motorhome working on this project. If I pull up at a nice lookout out or something I'll set up my time lapse rigs then pull out the red and get a few shots then if there's some thunder approaching or waves crashing against a cliff I'll grab the sound gear and record that ect ect. Most shots wont need to be synced to the footage. Times when I'm meeting a pro surfer I'll have a sound guy and extra cinematographers. So this is why I need to purchase because i will never no when it's time to record.

Thanks again
Owen

Operating the Red, using a boom mic (or setting up lavs) and conducting the interview?

If you're spending that much money on the camera and sound equipment you MUST get someone to either handle the sound or the camera, preferably both. A young, eager sound guy won't cost you that much, but trying to handle it all by yourself is not a good idea. Sure as ROC says it can be done, but it really shouldn't.

What I will say is that if you're working under the ethos of 'Can't hurt giving it a go myself first' (which is a good ethos to have) then maybe you should consider spending less money, or renting the equipment first. What Alcove is describind is, fairly, pro level equipment and, correct me if i'm wrong, not designed to be used by someone who is also operating a camera.

Nick,

Sit-down interviews are static. Find the position for the mic, and leave it there, set a level and do the interview. This is what he asked for, and the equipment Alcove suggested is spot on for himself to use by himself in that situation. The "sound guy" you pay for a day will be sitting twiddling his thumbs 90 percent of the interview.

My mic suggestion will last you for years if you take care of it, and is the top location mic on the market today for many reasons. If you want a pro mic, the CMIT 5U is tough to beat.

Last edited:
No, I do get what you're saying.

I'm just under the impression this is a travel documentary (he said so himself) and that he'll be interviewing mainly pro surfers.

No one wants to see a surfer in a sit down interview in a room, you pretty much have to interview them at the beach or at least in a surf shop. I can't see how there can be many static interviews in this film.

Afterall he's said that he'll have a sound guy and cinematographers for when he needs to shoot interviews. All i'm saying is that they're vital to shooting a documentary like this.

He get's this (see above) and I get that because he's travelling around and doing it fairly impromptu he wants to keep the stuff with him.

Back