• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound-alike music

Hi everyone,
My name is Chris, I'm currently taking a video production course in addition to screenwriting at my local community college. I have had this idea going around in my mind for about 2 days now, and it began basically some time after I saw a friend's film he was submitting to the school's film festival. In the opening titles of his film, he used the orchestral climax from "A Day In The Life" by The Beatles, and it gave me an idea for a short little film inspired by the song, but not really relating to the lyrics in any way.

What I was considering doing was not using the original version but an instrumental cover that Jeff Beck (blues guitarist) did that I found on Youtube last night. However, since I know that well-known songs are next to impossible to license if you don't have the money (and I barely have enough money) I was considering hiring a composer to do something similar, and the way I'm envisioning it in my mind is practically the same way the Beatles did it, two different pieces of music linked together, with this terrifying climax in the middle.

I'm a musician, though I tried my hand at composing and it was just too frustrating for me to do alone, and I don't consider myself to be an expert in theory and composition. However, for this, I am envisioning two different pieces of music, one a light, easy-going piece, and then something similar to the climax, performed by an orchestra. I guess the one thing I am worried about is if I should even be worried about finding a composer, and if so, how can I find one who has experience in orchestral music and can do something that doesn't sound cheap or overly synthesized? I hope that this isn't a weird question, it's just that this whole thing has been racking my brains ever since I thought of it.

Back