• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sony Vegas...voice over...

I am still fooling around with this editing tool....

I was trying to delete the sound in the footage I had put together...and dub it over with my voice in a documentary style.
I followed the instructions as per the Help Me...and it guides me along fine...

However

The footage I have is about two minuets long with about seven or so clips. When I record my voice (using a cheap mic) I am only able to cover the first clip..but not the rest of the clips.
So there are about seven clips edited together, but my voice over only seems to record the very first clip which is only a few seconds long...then nothing.
I cannot find anything on Vegas that would explain that.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Actually what it allows me to do is record my voice over the credit roll and then my first clip...then nothing. I still have it on record and its showing it is recording but nothing. When I put the sound up, I hear my voice for the credit roll and the first few seconds clip...then it goes back to the original sound that was recorded when I was filming.

Last edited:
Wow. Who would have ever thought so much work went into voice overs? I always just thought you sat in front of the mic and spoke but you don't think of all the things that can go wrong until it does.

I actually ordered a blue mic online. I just couldn't stand the sound anylonger. I sound like I am in a room recording over video..cheap. I ordered the yeti. I checked it out on youtube and it sounded fine from those samples.
I really don't like ordering things online because you don't know what you are getting and if you hate it - its a pita to repack and send it back as opposed to just walking into a store...but I know no where here would have any decent mics.

It should be here in about a week or so. Maybe by then I will have the whole vo thing figured out...as far as not having to pause the recorder for each footage of film.

Well now I have a clue as to what goes on behind the scenes of a vo.

You can fix the crappy voice over some with plugins like compression and eqing see link below. Sure a better mic and premic would help but if you can't get that try this. Also for a pop filter you could make one using a wire hanger and stockings(pany hose). You can also get noise in your audio do to using too long of a mic cable as I found out using my 25 foot long mic cable for my PA. Opps. Use the shorter cable if posslbe and good quality ones. If it is a live mic versus a condensor mic it may need some of the lower frequencies rolled off to remove the muddniess of the vocal. See link to get good ideas on mastering vocals. It helps. I found that by putting a low pass filter at 14 K helped to make them sound better. Applying a high pass filter at 150 hz helps get rid of the muddness. Use you ear to determine what works. I actually changed the filter to be 260 hz or more high pass filter to get rid of furnace or fridge noise. Just adjust by ear.

http://www.homestudiocorner.com/2009/09/22/processing-vocals-part-4-3-tips-for-eq-ing-vocals/

By the way chaning reverb makes it sound like your recording if different spaces like rooms it can be adjusted using pluggins. You could also build your self a recording booth to get rid of natural reverb from your recording environment and then add it back the right type using pluggins. If you don't want to build a vocal both then use a closet with heavy carpet / heavy blankets/ or some other sound deadening material. The plus with a vocal booth is that it get rid of out side noise that maybe be like cars driving by or fire trucks near your house or maybe an air plane flying over your house.

You can sit in front of a mic but your voice may not sound as good. I guess it may sound just as good for voice over but recording music vocals is differnt. Also if you are trying to match a preformace it can be difficult to match it. You are better off geting the audio right on location versus trying to do dubs/looping.

You can edit out breathing out of the audio.

I don't claim to be an expert but that is what I have learned and/or tried.

Last edited:
There certainly is a lot to learn. As for the mic, I already purchased it. This mic I was using was annoying me....not the mic but the sound.
As for my surroundings, right now I will have to settle for what I have. The room is quiet, no neighbors around...just birds and they are certainly welcome as background noise for what I am doing.
Any other noise that filters in, I am hoping to drown it out with background noise from the sound effects I am adding. I went outside and just recorded a few things that would fit the background...and put them under sound effects in the sony where the picture doesn't come in, only the sound. It seems to work pretty decent. I don't hear 'room' noises...its just I sound like I am talking on a video camera. Sounds unprofessional...like I am doing what I am actually doing which is recording my voice at home.

Thanks.

Try adding reverb to your voice I think that will really help you. Do you know how to use plugins? Reverb is something you can add to make your voice sound like it is in different chambers for instance differnet sized rooms, caves, halls, etc....

I have no clue what reverb is... plugins.

Let me be frank here, I am a novice at film making and a bigger novice in computor technology. I am clueless.
The hardest thing I am experiencing right now is learning everything from scratch...I mean when I save things I have to find where I saved them..because I could never find where I put them (much like my real life)...but I am getting better and remembering...I save them in the exact same place...but I don't have anything organized...where to find what.

Anyway...thats my problem.

I don't know what reverb is or eq.

eq is equalizer. The audio pluggins are so you can add effects to the audio like eq, compression, reverb, etc... There are also video pluggins too. In the help menu under Help>Content/Index in sony vegas type in Track FX and read the topics that should help point you in the right direction. It will take a while to figure out what pluggins to use. I just experimented.

Last edited:
Back