Sony handycams

I got one of the more recent models, the sx43.

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/dcr-sx43

I don't know much what I can do with it, it's a pretty far cry from producing pro hd quality video, but I think it can sort of be macguyvered into doing a few cool things.

like in well-lit situation it shoots half-decent distance-shots, it's good for doing sweeps of scenery and that sort of thing.

Anything physically close to it, the quality inevitably degrades to the point of my footage being clearly shot on a crummy old sony handycam.

Does anyone else have experience with these cameras, like are there settings in the giant list of menus that I have yet to figure out?

Did someone say, Macguyver?

Sorry. Anyways, just because you don't have a top-of-the-line HD camcorder, doesn't mean you can't shoot great film. Yeah, shooting in full 1080 is awesome, but don't be discouraged. When I had my little Canon Elura100 MiniDV (a far cry from anything like a Canon GL1/XL1), it shot the normal, slightly grainy and jittery film, especially in low-light; but you compensate for that stuff by using proper lighting and stabilization. Your sound will be crap coming into the camera's internal mic, so invest in a handheld portable audio recorder or boom mic to capture good audio. It still won't match up to HD quality, but you can still make a damn good film just by paying attention to details like that, and seeing what else you can use or "macguyver up" to bring it up to the highest quality you can. That's what makes a great film. Anyways, hope I helped and good luck with your filming!

Yeah, part of the reason I got the camcorder was because someone actually got shot at a nightclub outside my building last year, so I'm just supposed to have it around the window for future occasions.

I own a 4 foot high tripod, lots of adjustable artists lamps, and now just recently got a digital voice recorder, 3 other older digital cameras with video mode!

It's possible to get that "every-angled-covered" feeling using this junk.

My grandkids are gunna be saying "macguyver" as a verb too, I'm keeping the expression.

My grandkids are gunna be saying "macguyver" as a verb too said:
Hahah definitely, it's always good to have that "Macgyver" talent to make virtually anything out of, well, anything. I've possessed that ability for a while now and use it often, especially when shooting! You never know what kind of situations you'll get into so it's good to hone those skills.

A monopod should be standard issue with every consumer camcorder. Much better than a cheap tripod. It's more likely to be used and if you practice pans, much smoother. Plus, if you extend it all the way and raise it over your head you can get some quasi-crane shots.

Back