Sony EX1 Microphone

Recently I purchased a Sony EX1 camera and I'm looking for a good microphone for it now. I know absolutely nothing about audio so I thought I would ask for some advice or maybe some mic recommendations.

I'll be shooting in nature quite often so picking up the sounds of birds, waterfalls, etc. Then possibly stopping along the trail to talk with fellow hikers and be able to pick up our conversation.

I'm also looking for a wireless microphone set that I could wear while ridding a bicycle and talk, not just pick up the wind. I was looking into the Sennheiser EW100ENG G2 Wireless Microphone Kit.

Basicially something run and gun like below
attachment.php

Again, I know nothing about audio. any and all information/recommendations is appreciated!

Thanks, Robbs

Last edited:
Okay, you have described three very different audio situations requiring different audio setups.

Even the two recording nature situations are different; birds are "delicate" sounds and waterfalls are big sounds, so different mics would be used. There is also the choice of mono vs. stereo.

For interviews I will make the assumption that they will be very spur-of-the-moment situations, so a handheld mic would probably be appropriate; you're probably not going to take the time to wire up your interviewee with a lav.

For riding your bike I would recommend a headset mic or even possibly a throat mic; they would have the best signal to external noise ratio.

A few more questions... Are you by yourself or will you have help? Are you recording direct to camera or a separate recording device? Are you doing set-ups or mostly run-and-gun? If you're doing run-and-gun how fast do you need access to any of the three recording scenarios?

Back