• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Some Girl - Scene from my short film

This is the first time I've ever attempted to put a scene together using more than one character and dialogue. It is a short scene from a film I wrote called Some Girl. The scene revolves around a struggling artist with her passion for writing, while her friend David chooses to criticize her lifestyle.

Looking for feedback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1w4n4Gp1nM

At about the 2 minute mark, the guy rubs his face...seems like a total over reaction. Then we cut to the chick suddenly sitting on the couch...throws me off a bit as a viewer...her line "just go David" seems out of place, perhaps change out for a sigh from her or a look of frustration at his last comment with a "could you just go"...and she says David WAY too much. The knife seen at the end...terrible...get rid of it...or completely rethink the way of shooting it.

The acting overall is ok, but I keep getting distracted by both actors needing a haircut rather badly.

All just my opinion. I'm nobody major or anything so I could be wrong. Overall not too bad though, well done.

The film doesn't look visually appealing, with changes in saturation from shot to shot, bad framing, shakiness, changes in saturation from shot to shot, occasionally visually cluttered or blank frame, strange wardrobe choices, distracting posters and products, a lack of color and establishing shots.

The audio was really bad though, that was the main thing that distracted me from the piece. The audio sounded unclear, muddled, and the hissing really took me out of it.

The dialogue wasn't bad though, sure, some lines sounded forced, but it was overall well written. The acting wasn't too shabby either, it wasn't the best, but I've seen MUCH worse.

The knife thing was ridiculous. Please, PLEASE take that out.

-------

Keep on trying and improving. You've got talent, you just have to learn how to use and utilize it.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the specific details. I'm not in film school at the moment, as I'm not sure whether or not it would be worth my time and money, but I am hoping to have a career in the field eventually, so all of this feedback is very useful for me!

The thing with the knife, and the reason it looks very out of place is because it was originally intended to be a dream sequence. The female character was imagining herself killing David for bashing her lifestyle choices, and then it would snap back into reality, and the two of them would be conversing in the room still. We never filmed the murder scene as we ran out of time, but I think that may have made more sense had we finished it! :lol:

Thanks guys! I appreciate the specific details. I'm not in film school at the moment, as I'm not sure whether or not it would be worth my time and money, but I am hoping to have a career in the field eventually, so all of this feedback is very useful for me!

The thing with the knife, and the reason it looks very out of place is because it was originally intended to be a dream sequence. The female character was imagining herself killing David for bashing her lifestyle choices, and then it would snap back into reality, and the two of them would be conversing in the room still. We never filmed the murder scene as we ran out of time, but I think that may have made more sense had we finished it! :lol:

Ahaaa well in that case my points on her saying David too much are null and void as it would perhaps fit.

I sit on the side of the fence of not going to film school. I think for me personally film school would be the wrong choice. But that does not mean that I don't understand the value of it. For some, going to film school is the right choice. It is up to you to decide if you think it is valuable to you to go there.

I understand there is a lot to learn about film that I have yet to experience. I often wonder if volunteering at a local studio (I live near Toronto) or helping out with other filmmakers in my region would help me get into the industry. I'm also aware that film school would provide me with a lot of connections, that is people who are looking to make film a career. I just don't know if all of that is worth $30,000 (The cost of tuition at Toronto Film School).

I understand what you meant about her saying "David" too much! As well as her suddenly appearing on the couch. For me, it seems normal because that was my apartment where I lived and when she crossed in front of the screen past David, I knew she was heading toward the couch. I like this kind of feedback because it helps me to notice things I wouldn't have ever noticed while spending hours editing the same footage.

Very helpful!

I understand there is a lot to learn about film that I have yet to experience. I often wonder if volunteering at a local studio (I live near Toronto) or helping out with other filmmakers in my region would help me get into the industry. I'm also aware that film school would provide me with a lot of connections, that is people who are looking to make film a career. I just don't know if all of that is worth $30,000 (The cost of tuition at Toronto Film School).

I understand what you meant about her saying "David" too much! As well as her suddenly appearing on the couch. For me, it seems normal because that was my apartment where I lived and when she crossed in front of the screen past David, I knew she was heading toward the couch. I like this kind of feedback because it helps me to notice things I wouldn't have ever noticed while spending hours editing the same footage.

Very helpful!

The issue is, would it provide you with a lot of "good" connections. And is it worth $30,000 to you. I myself would consider that to be a steep price to make good connections when you can find for instance this site and from what I understand of USA, a rather useful site called craigslist where you might make mention of your film making interests.

For me, I would not got to film school. Here are my reasons.

-Too expensive
-They teach from what I understand, the basics, but I can find that stuff online.
-They attract a lot of wannabe's with no real passion for film, just the title of director.
-They give you hands on experience and learning, but practice and doing your homework achieves this 2.
-They open your eyes to things you may not have considered to research, but sites like this do that too.
-I don't need a paper with qualifications because I won't work for anyone other then myself.

Here are reasons I think some people SHOULD go to film school.

-They are not self motivated/directed enough to learn without that push by the teacher. Nothing wrong with this. It is just the way some people learn better.
-If you need somewhere to go each day, and a teacher or teachers feeding you information in a laid out palatable fashion then this is ideal.
-Film school does give you hands on experience with different parts of film making with teachers to guide you and talk you through different tips and techniques.

Yes you may well make some good contacts, and that is valuable also.

Onto your story.

yes the couch switch threw me off. Perhaps extend that shot slightly to show her actually sit down, otherwise it comes as a shock.

The "David" thing is quite tricky...to many Davids and its overdone, but the right amount and she comes across as the right kind of crazy, if thats what you are going for.

Keep in mind I am a newbie too, don't take my advice as concrete. Think about what I say, see what others have to say, and have a think about it for yourself. I could be wrong.

The hair cuts...why do I go on about them? I hate to say it but people like to see attractive people. We like to look at them. We call it eye candy. Both actors are reasonably good looking (yes as a straight director I must know what girls look for in their favorite male actors and be able to judge if a guy is hot, cute, sexy, masculine etc because if I don't I risk losing half my female audience by casting the wrong guy. Just as I must cast the girl that looks right for the role too) In this footage both actors look fine, they fit the scene, they are both good looking. But the hair ruins all of that. I am painfully aware that you are the male acting in this so I am sorry if this offends. The hair on the guy and the girl looks like they have not had a haircut in over a year, and while you will both be used to looking that way, your audience does not know you as people, they do not know all the cool things about you that make you good peeps to know, all we have is this short clip, and we see people that need haircuts. Really I am sorry to say it.

The knife scene...If you are to keep it, I would have her raise it in the way she has, and then maybe cut to a close up, from around just under shoulder height, looking up into her face, which should show rage, crazy, whatever, but keeping in frame her arm (make sure its the same arm) bringing the knife down past the camera. Then you could have the cameraman drop to his knee as the knife strikes, and have the camera meet her stomach, then travel up toward the roof and the shot turning red.

But that is how I would do it, it does not mean that you need to do it that way or that you are doing it wrong as such, just that you could mix it up a little.

Joining in on other shoots, or just going along and watching is a good way to learn. I learnt a lot from editing someone elses film for them. It gave me great insight into why some ideas that seem great to the camera man or director, are a nightmare for the editor if the right shots are not taken, or not enough space is left either side of scenes for cutting.

The hair cuts...why do I go on about them? I hate to say it but people like to see attractive people. We like to look at them. We call it eye candy. Both actors are reasonably good looking (yes as a straight director I must know what girls look for in their favorite male actors and be able to judge if a guy is hot, cute, sexy, masculine etc because if I don't I risk losing half my female audience by casting the wrong guy. Just as I must cast the girl that looks right for the role too) In this footage both actors look fine, they fit the scene, they are both good looking. But the hair ruins all of that. I am painfully aware that you are the male acting in this so I am sorry if this offends. The hair on the guy and the girl looks like they have not had a haircut in over a year, and while you will both be used to looking that way, your audience does not know you as people, they do not know all the cool things about you that make you good peeps to know, all we have is this short clip, and we see people that need haircuts. Really I am sorry to say it.

I would have loved to pay for Steve and Ciara's hair cuts, but we it would probably have been pointless because at the rate we were shooting, we would need to get one each day we filmed. We were all in high school, so it was difficult to get everyone together at times. I actually directed these two, neither of them are me, but I'm sure neither Steve nor Ciara would be offended by that comment! haha

The knife scene...If you are to keep it, I would have her raise it in the way she has, and then maybe cut to a close up, from around just under shoulder height, looking up into her face, which should show rage, crazy, whatever, but keeping in frame her arm (make sure its the same arm) bringing the knife down past the camera. Then you could have the cameraman drop to his knee as the knife strikes, and have the camera meet her stomach, then travel up toward the roof and the shot turning red.

Great idea! I love the visual. Unfortunately though, we had to stop filming this due to a number of unexpected complications. I'm onto a new film now!

Thanks for your considerations! Your feedback has been rather helpful to me!

Back